Any changes in the LR4 over the last few years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2013 trade in thread got me to thinking about what I need to be looking at. I posed this question in that thread but I wanted to start a dedicated topic.

I was originally looking for a 13. But, regardless of milage, there is quite a bit of pricing difference from 11 to 12 to 13. I really dont want to go older than 11 so thats as far back as I'll look. Can anyone tell me what the differences and upgrades were from year to year?

I will be buying something with lux and HD package or equivalent.

Any mechanical, tech or infotainment upgrades within this timeframe?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 3 model years would be very similar. MY2012-13s got a revised infotainment system that, besides an extensively redesigned UI, offered a handful of new features such as "Say What You See" voice input system, redundant audio, telephone and navigation info displayed in the TFT display within the instrument cluster, Bluetooth music streaming, satnav maps upgradeable by the end user via USB, and a couple other welcome improvements. Otherwise the changes were minimal and skin-deep only: LUX 2013s added an optional extended leather trim to dash and door sills, and there were some new colors and minor trim changes - such as new design wheels, the introduction of a "black" package, and the like.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! The infotainment changes are pretty important to me. Ive been spoiled by the excellent uConnect system and its one of the things that are are appealing to my rational side to stay with a domestic. So those changes to both the 12 & 13 model? Correct?

Wheels and cosmetics can always be added..

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My one and only regret with the 2011 LR4 is that it doesn't offer factory BT music streaming (I believe it became standard in 2012+). This in no way affects my overall enjoyment of the vehicle and it was easy to address with an inexpensive aftermarket workaround. But I agree w/ramajama-- the uConnect suite of tech from the 2011 model year is/was pretty nice and ran circles around this LR's gadgetry. Small gripe that in no way has me second-guessing my return to Landy Life!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they started using the current infotainment in MY2012s, still using it today on every LR model virtually unchanged - save for a few additions that feel very much tacked-on (InControl) rather than well designed and integrated. The upcoming new Discovery Sport will be the first to finally feature a truly new generation of in-car entertainment for Land Rover and it will likely trickle up to other models in the next few years, we'll see how good that one is. Even with the 2012 improvements, the current system is still a generation or two behind the tech-savvy competition, so if you are expecting cutting edge technology in a 2012 or 2013 (or even 2014 or 2015...) you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Examples? Bluetooth music streaming is nice... But in Land Rover's version it doesn't work if you already have an iPhone or iPod hardwired to the system for some odd reason. Hard drive navigation will take you where you want to go... But the traffic "feature" is laughable at best, the touchscreen feels slow as molasses at times and it and lacks lots of bells and whistles other manufacturers were offering years ago. Voice recognition works... But it takes forever to enter an address that way. Like cperez says, although a snazzy in-car entertainment system would be nice to have, the LR4 doesn't revolve around it and has got plenty of other virtues other cars can't touch, such as real utility, go-anywhere capabilities, luxurious interiors, comfort, etc.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! The infotainment changes are pretty important to me. Ive been spoiled by the excellent uConnect system and its one of the things that are are appealing to my rational side to stay with a domestic. So those changes to both the 12 & 13 model? Correct?

Wheels and cosmetics can always be added..

If you like the uConnect system then you will hate the LR unit. It pales in comparison. The nav is no where near as simple to use as the Garmin unit in the uConnect and it is not as pretty as the uConnect.

That being said, I don't really love the uConnect. I think it is a painful system in its own ways and to some degrees like the LR4's better. But they each have pro's and con's.

Otherwise I believe everyone else covered most of the changes. I will say I somewhat disagree with umberto on the traffic feature. Mine always worked pretty well. It's not graceful to use but it told me soon enough that I needed to look at Google Maps to better understand what was going on.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Infotainment is not the end all for me, but I'd at least like to have the more current version that started in 12. Thats precisely why I was asking about changes in the model years and the info has been helpfull.

But yeah, Ive had UConnect on my 13 and 14 RAM trucks. IMHO, Its a high mark to shoot for. I know it beats the hell out of the frustrating SYNC in my wife's 2013 F150.

As long as the infotainment has decent functionality, I think I can live with it.

I'm still pondering.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question, Can you play your music from your phone or iPod via the usb interface?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, on MY2012x and later. On 2010-11s, you need a proprietary interface cable. The on-screen interface is a bit sluggish and can be a pain to scroll through long artist / album / playlists, but works well enough.

LOMartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased an LR4 and struggled with which year to choose.

The 2012 won out, deciding factor being the updated Inofotianment.

Coming from a 2012 Audi S4 the LR is decades ahead. The wireless Bluetooth connection via the iPhone 6 and the LR IS FLAWLESS. The wired iPhone to LR works just as well. The USB hub works as it should.
The only down side is a slow refresh/ processing display and the voice controls are also a little wonky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72