Any experience with the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all -

I tried searching the forum but came up with spotty results. Basically, I have the factory extended (long) rail system. What I am trying to do is make use of that investment by finding a roof rack that integrates with the long rail system (so I do not have to get rid of the factory rails). The only product I could find that matches my use case is the Rhino Rack Backbone Pioneer Platform.

So...my question is does anyone have experience with or know someone who has the Rhino Rack Backbone Pioneer Platform? What is their review of the rack? Is there a lot of wind noise? etc. etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Douglas225

Reaction score
glad you asked because i, too, am interested in feedback on this item. One quick point from your post, if i understand the system correctly, you would not need the "backbone" because you have the long rails on your truck. The backbone is for folks like me who have no rails installed. In any case, I am pretty sure that they make a mounting system that will attach to your long rails.

As eluded to above, I have no rails and am very interested in the backbone system and the pioneer elevation model (with a roller attached to the back). i love that this rack system is full aluminum because i live in FL and will almost certainly scratch the powder coat often with boats/canoes and i dont want to deal with rust.

However, like you, i am very concerned about the wind noise. if i move forward, it would be with their wind fairing device. The front runner sublime ii gets a lot of negative feedback on noise, but, i think it may be because the slats are largely perpendicular to the length of the vehicle (rhino are parallel) and the FR wind fairing is either non-existent currently or, when i have got feedback, it is less than satisfactory. the rhino rack, from my research/study would seem to solve both of the those issues; however, i can find VERY LITTLE personal feedback and i have spent a great deal of time searching. The feedback i have found is for different vehicles and it is largely positive.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok - just got done installing the LR4 Ladder VPLAR0164. If anyone plans on doing that, I recommend getting a Rivet tool. I've done the DIY riveters in the past (like with my rail lamp guards) and screwed the ladder install up this time around for some reason. Once I got the rivet gun and a replacement M6 rivet part, the new rivet nut was installed in seconds.

Anyway about the Rhino Rack - yes, I was confused if "backbone" was synonymous with "pioneer platform" - they are different like you said (the "backbone" is the equivalent to the rails.. I figured it out in the "Product Breakdown - What you get" section of their website).

So anyway, Rhino is telling me because I have the factory rails that I should get the Pioneer OR the Pioneer "Elevation". Also, it looks like I have to buy the "legs" that secure the platform to the factory rails.

I think the video shows the 49" wide as I measured 49" across the top of my LR4 and basically the rack extends 2" beyond the RAIL on each side. I am considering the 56" but I have a feeling it will look disproportionately wide on top of the roof (therefore not as streamlined in appearance). I would almost equate it to a person carrying one of those wide baskets full of bread or fruit on top of their head.

Which size would you go with, 49" or 56"?

Would you get the "Elevation" model with the vertical side rails or simply the flat Pioneer basic model and then add the more modular looking full rail kit to the basic model? I might be answering my own question in that when I click on the "Product Compatibility" of both models, the Pioneer Platform has a lot more modular accessory options that can be installed on it versus the Elevation model. Example: you can get the

Full rail kit installs into the basic/flat Pioneer platform, looks more lower profile and can be removed.
43187B-00-P_lrg.jpg

Elevation model - the side rails are welded. The sides also seem to be higher profile.
45104B-Pioneer-Tradie-01_lrg.jpg

Douglas225

Reaction score
I'm continuing to watch this thread with interest. As I mentioned above, I really like the pioneer elevation. And, I would probably pull the trigger, if I could find out more from someone first hand about the wind noise when accompanied w/ rhino fairing system and "back bone".

Regarding your questions, I think it comes down to personal choice. In my opinion, the more narrow (49") rack would look better and probably be similar to the other racks that you're familiar seeing on other LR4s. And, as you mentioned, the flat one, probably has more versatility for accommodating large flat objects like rooftop tents and such since the elevation model has welded sides. Even more, if total height of the vehicle is an issue for parking garage, etc, the flat one may be best choice.

Despite the 'pros' i mention above, i still like the elevation model for me. Keep us posted on your journey.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have the platform (yet) but do use the Rhino aero bars. Far quieter than any others I have used. Pretty sturdy. RR stated I could just buy teh universal platform and use the feet from my aerobar set-up.

They have great customer service. Hit them up with questions - they will give good sound advice. I hear the owner in Australia is big on Land Rover products.

Shorty

Reaction score
I’ve had the Pioneer Platform mounted for 2 years now. It was easy to install and there are a lot of great accessories available to help secure just about anything. To answer the big question, Yes. There is a lot of noise when speed exceeds 50 mph. Unfortunately, Rhino Rack does not make a fairing for it. Nor could I find an aftermarket one that I thought would do the job. Eventually, I came up with this.......
E2FF99EB-B5AF-4D74-8916-EEA239F75A1E.jpeg

It’s an old snowboard we had kicking around. Works better then expected. In short, great rack if you have factory rails.

Douglas225

Reaction score
I’ve had the Pioneer Platform mounted for 2 years now. It was easy to install and there are a lot of great accessories available to help secure just about anything. To answer the big question, Yes. There is a lot of noise when speed exceeds 50 mph. Unfortunately, Rhino Rack does not make a fairing for it. Nor could I find an aftermarket one that I thought would do the job. Eventually, I came up with this.......View attachment 8157
It’s an old snowboard we had kicking around. Works better then expected. In short, great rack if you have factory rails.

Great solution. However, they do appear to now offer one - maybe it is newer since you were looking:

http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...airings/pioneer-wind-fairing-1130mm-44-_43249

no-pistons

Reaction score
Well I recently got the new wind fairing for the Rhino Pioneer rack on my LR3. It doesn't work. Well it fits, and it reduces noise slightly (still a decent amount of noise), but it sits on top of the sunroof making it inoperable. Before I bought it, both Rhino rack technical support and customer service assured me that I will have no issues. Well it looks like they used me as a guinea pig and now my emails to return it are going ignored.

So anyone considering a Rhino Rack, be warned that their customer service is complete garbage and they don’t give a rat’s ass if you have an issue with their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas225

Reaction score
Well I recently got the new wind fairing for the Rhino Pioneer rack on my LR3. It doesn't work. Well it fits, and it reduces noise slightly (still a decent amount of noise), but it sits on top of the sunroof making it inoperable. Before I bought it, both Rhino rack technical support and customer service assured me that I will have no issues. Well it looks like they used me as a guinea pig and now my emails to return it are going ignored.

So anyone considering a Rhino Rack, be warned that their customer service is complete garbage and they don’t give a rat’s ass if you have an issue with their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am really sorry to hear that. Thank you for giving us a heads up. I hope you can get it resolved.

sailor96

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a rack that fits and LR4- 2013 without factory rails?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA