Anyone know how to Flat Tow the LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I went searching for vehicles, it was important to find one that had third row seating (another baby on the way) and that it be able to be towed 4 wheels down behind a motorhome. I currently have a Kia Sportage that I really only use for Motorhome trips, as it is cheap, light, and towable. And, if it flies off the back of the motorhome, no great loss.

At the LR3 dealer, the salesman assured me that the LR3 was towable in such a manner. I asked no less than 10 times.

I bought the vehicle and was flipping through the manual, and low and behold, no 4wheels down towing (except in emergencies for 30 miles at max speed of 30mph).

I called the dealer and confirmed that it is not towable. The salesman had already been fired for other incompetence. The dealer offered to take the vehicle back, which was a pretty stand up thing to do, in my opinion.

But, the vehicle is so awesome that I decided to keep it. Maybe I will just keep the Kia for most of the motorhome trips and possibly get a trailer for our two yearly Colorado trips (The LR3 is a must have in Colorado - especially in the summer).

So, I am wondering if anyone knows a secret trick as to how to tow. Is there a way to disconnect a drive shaft like Remco? Is there a transmission pump available that will keep the trans happy when towing?

Thanks!!!

D

disco1

To flat tow you will need to disconnect the drive shafts. A bit of a bummer when you need to go to town or whatever in a hurry.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"To flat tow you will need to disconnect the drive shafts. "

Yes, that is the only solution. Do you know how hard that is? I am talking with Remco about fitting one of their systems to the LR3.

J

jcegold

is there a remco solution or put it on a flatbed trailer?

Last edited by a moderator:

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full trailer is the only option, jcegold. It really wouldn't be smart to do it any other way.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious. What's the design reason behind us not being able to flat tow?

That said - are there any special things to do when doing a two wheel tow (front or back raised) or a flat bed tow? Seem to remember someting about this in the manual but in an emergency situation we won't all remember to look and if it gets towed without me in the car, I garauntee the wife or tow jockey won't think of it....

N

NHESS81

toddjb122 said:
Just curious. What's the design reason behind us not being able to flat tow?....

is british, thats the only answer i could come up? lol why WOULD they design something useful, those silly britons! ahah, but really, i think it has to do with the full time all wheel drive...im guessing that having the tires moving at different speeds will anger the transmission if the engine is off...i dont know...it makes no sense to me either. if you are in an emergency, such as you broke down, dont tow it. if you have another vehicle there to tow you, just jump in that car, and drive to a town that has a flat bed tow truck, because the damage you will do to your transmission is not worth it.

JZK, why is having a low trailer to park it on not an option? it seems pretty easy to me, besides, if you have a motorhome that can tow the beastly sized LR3, im sure it can slap on another 1000 pounds for a decent trailer right?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't two wheel tow. You need a flat bed tow truck... Land Rover Roadside Assistance or any decent tow service will know this.

Welcome to modern AWD/4WD designs. There is no way to "disengage" everything related to the drive train. If you do, you will cause serious damage.

Anyway, it's really better to throw any vehicle on a full trailer... especially something this heavy.

J

jcegold

grommet said:
Anyway, it's really better to throw any vehicle on a full trailer... especially something this heavy.
I agree it is just a hassle to put a car on a trailer. Then where to keep the trailer? Then who did you loan your trailer to last week? I sure like the lr3 would be nice to use with the RV.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72