Anyone moved from an LR4 to a Velar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedGTS

Reaction score
Particularly curious about how a Velar with air suspension drives compared to the LR4. I've been very happy with my LR4, but like the looks of the Velar. The dealer actually gave me a Velar as a loaner the last time I had my LR4 serviced, but it was a 4 cylinder without air suspension, and I was not impressed with the coil suspension--I thought it was clearly inferior to my LR4's air suspension. I did like the interior and exterior of the Velar though.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had a Velar loaner too. I didn't like the short side windows and it felt like I was sitting in a bath tub compared to the LR4 seating position and view. My Velar loaner was the 6 cylinder model. (P380?) At first I thought it drove like a Buick. Then I figured out the previous driver had the suspension set to "Comfort". I changed the setting to "Dynamic" and WOW!, it transformed into an entirely different vehicle. In this setting, it was quick, agile and handling was excellent. Truly a joy to drive aggressively, which was totally unexpected. Go test drive a 6 cylinder in Dynamic mode. I never understood why the Velar model even existed, but now i know it is the most car-like of all the LR models and can rival an A6 or 5-series.

RedGTS

Reaction score
Just had a Velar loaner too. I didn't like the short side windows and it felt like I was sitting in a bath tub compared to the LR4 seating position and view. My Velar loaner was the 6 cylinder model. (P380?) At first I thought it drove like a Buick. Then I figured out the previous driver had the suspension set to "Comfort". I changed the setting to "Dynamic" and WOW!, it transformed into an entirely different vehicle. In this setting, it was quick, agile and handling was excellent. Truly a joy to drive aggressively, which was totally unexpected. Go test drive a 6 cylinder in Dynamic mode. I never understood why the Velar model even existed, but now i know it is the most car-like of all the LR models and can rival an A6 or 5-series.

Very interesting, thanks. So the one you drove was an R-dynamic model? If I understand the lineup correctly the much more common S model doesn't have dynamic mode.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks. So the one you drove was an R-dynamic model? If I understand the lineup correctly the much more common S model doesn't have dynamic mode.

Not sure, I just know it was the 6-cylinder P380 with adjustable suspension. You could select 4 different driving modes on the touch screen. I think it was a regular S model but it had the Dynamic handling package option.

RedGTS

Reaction score
Not sure, I just know it was the 6-cylinder P380 with adjustable suspension. You could select 4 different driving modes on the touch screen. I think it was a regular S model but it had the Dynamic handling package option.

Cool. Thanks again for the feedback!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, our local group recently did a mild trail ride with 10 Rovers. The route was a mix of tarmac and gravel/mud/wooded trails. Nothing too extreme; mostly scenic. However the route featured 4 water crossings one of which was semi-hairy. One of our members arrived in a wrapped, murdered-out Velar on coils. We had our doubts especially with the aforementioned water crossing, but at the end of the day we had dubbed the Velar the "Honey Badger". It was awesome to see it in action.

ggrupea

Reaction score
Hi, I've tried the Velar few times, and have a Disco 1 and 3. There are a lot of difference between discos and velar. In my opinion, its all related to what you want to do with it. Velar is a very good Land Rover, but it doesn´t have all 4x4 cappacities than the Discovery.

About the interior, you will see the more diferences between both cars, Velar is like a new plane, with glass cockpint on all of the dashboard, and Discovery still have buttoms.

Other way, Velar doesn´t have 4x4 low mode transfer box to configure, so you will be allways depending on what the car is feeling.

I always recommend, to try the car, feel it, and think if it will fit to your way of life.

Best wishes

Mdurwin

Reaction score
I’m going to stick with an LR4 until I can’t find one. The Velar, like every SUV on the market has that slopped roof that reduces cargo space. I bought my LR4 specifically for the huge gapping mouth of a back hatch. Also because it seats 7. I’ve got 3 kids. How many does the Velar seat?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA