Anyone running Tuffant steel wheels yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of March, they were taking preorders - something like $1k for 5 wheels, plus 250 for shipping to east coast. I am revisiting this now and seeing if anyone has pulled the trigger and is running these? My goal for now is to run 265/65/18s on these, which is the max size you can run without frame trimming, etc. Interested in what needs to be done to adapt the TPMS system to these, apparently you need belts to attach the existing sensors to? Anyway, if anyone is running these on their LR, would love to hear feedback. Pics are even better! Opinions on whether black or charcoal go better with Nara Bronze are good too. :)

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, very useful - looks like he was running some other wheels before and then went to tuffants. Maybe black rhinos? Looks good.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine in and should have 265/65/18 tires mounted next week. Tire shop told me they can either use bands on the original sensors or use another type of TPMS sensor with a rubber valve stem.

As of March, they were taking preorders - something like $1k for 5 wheels, plus 250 for shipping to east coast. I am revisiting this now and seeing if anyone has pulled the trigger and is running these? My goal for now is to run 265/65/18s on these, which is the max size you can run without frame trimming, etc. Interested in what needs to be done to adapt the TPMS system to these, apparently you need belts to attach the existing sensors to? Anyway, if anyone is running these on their LR, would love to hear feedback. Pics are even better! Opinions on whether black or charcoal go better with Nara Bronze are good too. :)

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT (in load range E).

Was debating between that and the KO2, but it seems people like the AT3 in wet weather better and its a little quieter. I don't know -- it seems like everyone has a tire opinion and they all disagree. Dozens of people saying the KO2 is amazing in snow, dozens more saying they slider all over the place.

I'll post some pics when I get these bolted on!

Nice, please post pics. What tires are you going with?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine in and should have 265/65/18 tires mounted next week. Tire shop told me they can either use bands on the original sensors or use another type of TPMS sensor with a rubber valve stem.

On my compomotives I had them use bands for the tpms sensors. Too much risk of a leak trying to use them normally. The way the rim is shaped just isn't compatible with them really.

I went with KO2's.. still to new to give an opinion.. but I don't think any A/T tire is good in snow/ice... I always run Blizzaks on my factory 19" wheels.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT (in load range E).

Was debating between that and the KO2, but it seems people like the AT3 in wet weather better and its a little quieter. I don't know -- it seems like everyone has a tire opinion and they all disagree. Dozens of people saying the KO2 is amazing in snow, dozens more saying they slider all over the place.

I'll post some pics when I get these bolted on!

I have KO2s on compos and besides looks and being relatively quiet, I don't have much good to say about them. I don't have any comparative experience with any other A/T tires however.

Biggest complaint is how they hold up. They wear like garbage. Limited off-roading has all but destroyed them. I have slashes and tears, but keep rocking them anyway. Treads have been torn up and did that with less than 2,000 road miles and 250 off-road miles.

I also bought them because they were supposed to have the best snow rating of any A/T tire. Snow performance was meh...
Stopping and turning was unpredictable and when they went, they went. Stopping and turning 3 tons is no joke without dedicated winter tires. Any time it snowed under a foot I preferred driving my Infiniti Sedan on blizzaks. It is glued to the road.

With all that, I don't know of another A/T tire that looks anywhere near as good, drives relatively quietly and does ok-ish in the snow.

I may just consider putting snow tires on my mint black 20"s. I love the look of the rims in general, but hate how 20" rims and tires look on the LR4; so not wanting to put wear and tear on them and how they look has to outweigh how safe I feel on the KO2s vs being surefooted.

TmacRover

Reaction score
5F0080D0-5C42-4F09-970F-5D28E081EAA4.jpeg
32EB939D-6D00-4026-8DF3-7E8DDEC5B7C2.jpeg
4EDCC11C-FF16-4AD0-88B8-DAD31C73A75D.jpeg
I just mounted 265/65 18 with Nitto Ridge Grapplers and due to being 0.26” larger than KO2’s I needed some minor wheel well mods (shave frame horns on backside of front axles, tie left front wires higher and heat press bumps in plastic liner but did not need to modify rear heater lines like others who run larger tyres). They run quiet on the road and I anticipate they will perform well off road too but haven’t had time yet. Love both wheels and tyres :)
I plan to run toyo observe snow tyres on my 19” rims so am not concerned about snow performance on these.
The charcoal color is great but not sure if it matches OP’s bronze truck. It barely matches the grey paint but I like it better than black which is so common. Oh, and I did need wheel straps (F150 style) for TPMS. Bought those on Amazon. Spare tyre need to be at 5 psi to fit in spare area with heat shield removed, and it takes some wiggling but it isn’t so tight that it gets stuck but you do need to wiggle it out.

B0676AB2-6D4D-4B9F-BA1A-8F8C37EAB589.jpeg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick