Anyone with ProSpeed sliders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding sliders and have narrowed it down to two options. Besides the obvious reason for protection, the secondary criteria is that it should still function pretty good as a step (kids are still small).

It's between Tactical 4x4 and ProSpeed and, oddly enough, the ProSpeed may be a tad cheaper.

For the Tactical, I'm looking at the option with square nerf bars. Cost is $1365 without shipping.

ProSpeed also has a nice looking set that has step inserts and as well as a coating that they call "Raptor", which essentially looks like textured bedliner (base option is powder coat). Cost would be 1475 with shipping. I just have not read about anybody on this forum with personal experience of fitment, quality, etc.

http://prospeed-group.co.uk/product...erts=yes&attribute_pa_finishing=powder-coated

Would love to hear any comments if you have experience with either. Thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen of the Prospeed sliders, they don't appear to protect much except maybe from a lateral hit from a tree or something. They don't extend beyond the sill under the vehicle.

The Tactical sliders, on the other hand, are on the other extreme, and protect the most of any slider (except maybe Lucky8's house brand).

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ryanjl. Do you have the Tactical sliders? Wondering how they function from a kid/step perspective.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding sliders and have narrowed it down to two options. Besides the obvious reason for protection, the secondary criteria is that it should still function pretty good as a step (kids are still small).

It's between Tactical 4x4 and ProSpeed and, oddly enough, the ProSpeed may be a tad cheaper...

Would love to hear any comments if you have experience with either. Thanks!
@TCM75 , not to muddy your decision waters, but figured I'd throw out the ones I installed last year (Voyager Rock Sliders With Step) into the mix as they seem to fit your criteria. I also looked at the two you mentioned, but ended up with these. They are heavy duty functional sliders, and they also work well as a step.

A few other folks have them here who can comment as well. They are not the hardest core rock sliders, but they are certainly not just for looks. They'll support the weight of the vehicle (you can jack it up from the step) and come with a couple different finish options.

My small kids use them as steps to climb in and out of the car. I use them to step up for roof access. And I like the look of them. I also liked that it's an independently owned company and you are likely talking to the guy who owns the company when you call. They are made to order in his Florida shop, but he keeps some inventory on hand as well.

There's pics on the web link above. Here are a couple from my car. didn't have any close-ups, but you get an idea of how they look and how far they stick out;

2v2uHYVN8xvn42L.jpg

2v2uaEpbGxvn42L.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any sliders on mine. I've looked into them, though. I think the Voyagers would be what I'd go with, as I only make it out to Colorado once every few years anymore, and I don't think I'd want to drive around with the weight of the Tacticals in the meantime.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny this is being brought back up. I was heavy on the tactical sliders and getting rid of my fugly stock step sides....until I went through a trail with the step sides, hit a side and rubbed along an embankment and it didn't do much damage. Realized that the newer models ('14-'16) have a fairly solid side step bolted to the frame under the plastic garb. This was confirmed when my neighbor removed his on his '15 and we could see how heavy and functional they are. So my theory is that I will still get a proper set, but wait until I damage up my stock side steps.

though they are not the real deal...they will do until I bust them up, lol

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen of the Prospeed sliders, they don't appear to protect much except maybe from a lateral hit from a tree or something. They don't extend beyond the sill under the vehicle.

The Tactical sliders, on the other hand, are on the other extreme, and protect the most of any slider (except maybe Lucky8's house brand).
@TCM75

The prospeed sliders are really meant to be one part of their whole kit and not provide an underbody protection, just a lateral protection. The reason being is that they designed a full underbody protection that comes in pieces. They pretty much have a peice that will protect everything, from the air compressor to the control arms to a 4 peice front to back setup. They broke it down to me somewhat like this:
1. If there is impact, you can repair/replace a smaller "peice" rather than possibly a large "fits all" peice.
2. It can be burdensome to remove large "fits all" pieces to clean/remove debris rather than remove just those that would catch debris
3. When you put the items on in smaller pieces it's easier to add/remove.

My overall thought on why they did this after looking at the price....they can make more money selling it in pieces $$$ lol

Untitled.jpg

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and if you're wondering what that will cost, front to back, all 10 pieces...around $5k w/shipping.....yowzer...

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iSurfsilvano, speaking of the stock setup...I went to a Land Rover owner's day in November and when I was descending a mountain trail the front left tire flipped up a small tombstone-shaped rock so that it basically turned into a jack stand under the front part of the left running board. Just reversed to "undo" and only had some of the rubber/plastic trim mildly deformed. Otherwise no structural damage. Of course I had the spotter tell me "never saw that before"...

Ryanjl, I appreciate the input. The Voyagers look great and they probably would make the most sense for my needs.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the images, iSurfsilvano, now the ProSpeed "system" makes sense. I am definitely not looking to invest that much.

Of course this may all be moot as my wife's QX60 lease is coming up and she really wants my LR4. That will mean I have to move into a D5...not sure I'm ready for that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV