1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently my LR4 is really upset about it's upcoming roommate

Discussion in 'LR4' started by PaulLR3, Jan 26, 2021.

1. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

I'm driving my LR4 about an hour from home and I see an incoming call from my salesperson at the LR dealer. I answer the call over Bluetooth and learn that my new Defender has arrived a month early. Apparently the LR4 heard the conversation as about 10 minutes later I see the angry red battery and red triangle light up on the dashboard. So I know the alternator has checked-out and I have whatever charge is left in the battery to get somewhere. I shut off the heated steering wheel and seat. My destination target is a different LR dealer about 20 minutes away. 5 minutes away I see the ABS and traction control lit up, then transmission fault, suspension fault, 30 mph max speed, then full "Christmas tree of death" as I crawl into the dealership. Then it dies. I actually bought our other LR4 here. As expected, no loaner cars available and they can't even look at my LR4 until next Thursday. At least I can pick up my Defender this weekend.

2. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

SMH at the magical Land Rover timing of this...

3. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

That's crazy! Good luck!

4. DaytonaRS7

DaytonaRS7 Full Access Member

must the week of of failing alternators.
    i created a thread just a few days ago about the exact same thing.

5. jlglr4

jlglr4 Full Access Member

I was just thinking that I’ve been seeing a ton of failing alternators on this forum. Besides low voltage, what are the signs or symptoms to watch for? Or is this just something to change out at X miles (maybe 80K-100K)?

6. DaytonaRS7

No signs of mine failing, until it was too late.
    I checked for any codes about 1 month prior (just for "fun") using IID tool, and nothing came up.

It was original, 145k, and had an oil leak dripping onto it about 5 months ago, which was fixed after about 1 week of noticing the issue.

for the $350 part (Denso) and 2 hrs of time it takes to change, id say maybe a 150k service part based on my experience.

I will be waiting 1 week for the part while the truck is laid up. combine that with the inconvenience of possibly being stranded, less than $350 is worth it to be preventative.

jlglr4 likes this.
  7. DirtyHal

DirtyHal Full Access Member

I was looking at my service history and mine was replaced at 45k by a previous owner, when mine died the other week my truck had 130k on it. I think these may be 75k replacement items... Which for $350 isn't bad and given the sudden failure of this part and how it renders the trucks undrivable.

jlglr4 likes this.
  8. DaytonaRS7

Wow. Maybe I was on borrowed time with mine. 2x the age and it had an oil bath in its life.

9. DirtyHal

DirtyHal Full Access Member

Yeah I was planning on buying this OEM Denso from FCP Euro because it comes with a lifetime warranty and swapping it out at my leisure but my rover had other plans and I ended up having it towed to a shop and having them replace it for a lot more because I just don't have time right now to do it.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/land-rover-alternator-denso-lr023421g

10. hickersb

hickersb Full Access Member

Twist: The oil bath doubled its life.

cperez likes this.