Are all terrains really necessary for even mild offroading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So been working to get my 2013 LR4 exactly as I want it. Truck currently has the OEM Conti 4x4 Contact street tires on it, and they're literally almost brand spankin new. I never intended for this truck to be an insane offroader. It will stay 99% stock and probably spend 75% of its life on the road. Being in NC though, I would like to take it to Uwharrie National Park, Biltmore Estate in Asheville, some of the drivable beaches etc and that's really about it.

I've been torn on what to do with the tires though. I don't care for the super aggressive AT's and am really liking the Continental TerrainContact as it blends street and offroad a little more than the super aggressive ATs. But I hate to scrap basically new OEM tires if I don't truly need the AT. For the driving scenarios I mentioned above, are AT's really necessary? Looks like to me LR Experience Asheville sends their trucks out on bone factory tires and they appear to be very capable like that.

Thoughts?

DallasLoneStar

Reaction score
For mild trails, as long as you have a full size spare and traction boards I think you would be OK. But I wouldn't head out after heavy rain. Just don't be surprised if you rip a tire. Most of the AT tires guys run on these trucks aren't E-rated / Light Truck tires anyway.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do some stuff. I went off road a few times in the Michelin street tires that were on my LR4 when I bought it.

But you have a greater risk of a puncture, and if it's wet at all, you'll be miserable.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As in getting stuck?

Yes. You'll have to gun it and spin the wheels while you pray for traction, all the while mindful that spinning the tires probably isn't good for them, and if you do suddenly find traction for some reason, you may be hitting the brakes before you hit a tree.

Honestly, the BEST solution is to keep your street tires on your existing rims, and get a second set of rims with off road tires.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be better. Depending on the size, you could air it down to get more traction. And it would be more impervious to punctures.

DallasLoneStar

Reaction score
I think the takeaway is go for it if you want, but don't be that guy who isn't prepared at all to improve his own traction (traction boards), change his own tire (full size spare and jack, wheel chock, piece of wood to put under jack if you are on soft ground/gravel), and also have a recovery strap with you and know your recovery points on your vehicle. Probably good rules in general for off-road adventures.

Actual AT tires will reduce your need to actually use any of that stuff substantially. But it is all stuff you should have anyway before leaving the pavement.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go out and start wheeling. If you find the tires inadequate, replace them. If not, carry on.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tires are actually OEM, they are getting a bit too old. Rubber compounds breakdown after 5 or 6 years. You can check the 4-digit numbers on the tires which indicate week/year manufactured.

If the tires are actually over 7 years old, time for new tires and I would recommend All-Terrains for sure, would not hurt to have the 3pmsf snow rating if you drive in Boone/Asheville for winter. Biltmore Land Rover Experience you can get by without All Terrains, Uwharrie definitely need ALL Terrains or Hybrid Mud/All Terrain (Nitto Ridge Grappler etc).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA