At my wits' end: Intake/Exhaust Valve Control Solenoids "Stuck Open"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrantRR

Reaction score
Have a 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition.

Having had ten or so different Range Rovers over the years (from 95' Classic all through L405's) I was really excited about my Ultimate Edition.

But I got a check engine light one day. Car still runs phenomenally despite the illuminated light. Idles perfect. Tons of Power.

The ONLY performance hiccup I have ever noticed is when trying to slowly pull away from a gas pump, or pull through a parking lot, the engine feels like it misses a step or gets tripped up for JUST a second, and then all is fine. And even that is just here and there, super occasional.

I've cleared/driven and then re-read the following codes a couple of times now:

P0301-00: CYLINDER 1 MISFIRE DETECTED.
No sub type information.

P0303-00: CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE DETECTED.
No sub type information.

P0305-00: CYLINDER 5 MISFIRE DETECTED.
No sub type information.

P0307-00: CYLINDER 7 MISFIRE DETECTED.
No sub type information.

P0300-00: RANDOM MISFIRE DETECTED.
No sub type information.

P0316-00: MISFIRE DETECTED ON START-UP (FIRST 1000 REVOLUTIONS).
No sub type information.

P0026-72: INTAKE VALVE CONTROL SOLENOID - CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE (BANK 1).
Actuator is stuck open.

P0027-72: EXHAUST VALVE CONTROL SOLENOID - CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE (BANK 1).
Actuator is stuck open.

The P0026-72 and P0027-72 Intake/Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid - Stuck Open are the ones that inevitably come back within 50 or so miles of driving. The cylinder bank 1 of misfires and "under 1,000rpm" codes seems to follow at some point.

Here's what we've been through trying to sort them:

Brand new intake and exhaust camshaft solenoids.

Brand new intake and exhaust camshaft solenoid connectors.

New PCV valve (smoke test showed it was leaking).

BG Dynamic Engine Cleaner then Dynamic Rinse Oil and two or three full oil changes during that flush process.

Worked with AutoLogic OPUS IVS to update the PCM.

Took it to a shop with some Land Rover experience and they swapped the new solenoids and tested all the wiring to make sure those were all working correctly. Everything tested good. They were working IVS360 Support who finally left it at either getting a new ECM (which they didn't sound super convinced by) or replace the timing chain and tensioners, but again, they were giving that suggestion kinda with their shoulders shrugged.

I attached my camshaft correlation values which, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't super far off and wouldn't point towards a stretched chain or tensioner issue if I'm not mistake?

I absolutely adore this car, but my OCD can't have an engine light on the dashboard. Is there anything I am missing that I should be trying?

CAPTURE-174-1.png

CAPTURE-175-1.png

CAPTURE-178-1.png

Endlessly appreciative of any help or suggestions.

alldazed

Reaction score
I have a 2011 rrssc. FWIW I have had the same misfire fault codes but no CEL light . I have cleared them and sometimes they have come back and sometimes they have stayed away as they have now for over a year. No drivability issue as you describe. However I have gone to start it after it has sat for a couple of hours in the warmer weather and it stumbles / misfires before starting and is then fine. It is an occasional issue and only after sitting for a couple of hours. Interestingly it does not set any misfire codes when checked afterwards so I think that may be more of a fuel issue but it’s not been enough for me to dig deeper.
Not sure if that helps at all but maybe you can rule out the misfire detections as a source of the CEL light.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72