1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At the risk of getting flamed for asking.. An Oil question.

Discussion in 'Range Rover' started by BlackdogTX, Jul 15, 2020.

1. BlackdogTX

BlackdogTX Member

I just did an oil change with Atlantic British/Dealer recommended Castrol OE "Professional" for my 2010 RR Sport SC. Can anybody tell me what the difference is other than price, between the Castrol OE "Professional" that I buy at AB, and the Castrol OE 5 gallon jugs available at WalMart? Also, I do my oil and filter changes every 5k miles. on all my vehicles.

Thanks in Advance!
    .E

2. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

I almost hate to say this, but I generally just use Synthetic oil Mobil One in the weight the vehicle needs. Some people say oil is oil, just change it often.

3. georgekale

georgekale Member

Some people always try to second guess recommendation over the Engineers that built the motor. Use what factory recommends. Castrol Extend Edge will work, so will Amsoil .

Mobil one is not recommended, go to Mobil oil site and check oil requirements for your vehicle.
    here's proof.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/what-to-buy/find-the-right-motor-oil/product-recommendations?query=api/v1/en-us/wmi/recommendations/2010/11/2833/7845/0/0
    Recommended for your
    2010 Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-20 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS M2C925-A. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications.

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-and-light-truck/2011/land-rover/range-rover/5-0l-8-cyl-engine-code-e-e/?volume=us-volume

Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

I hope this information enlighten some people so they can save money for unneeded motor repairs or replacement. Also stick to the oil weight 5W-20. I have seen motors ruined when they think thicker oil will work better.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 12:04 PM
  4. Rudirover

Rudirover Member

Hi: I've been driving land rovers since 1973. I use land rover recommended viscosity oil. I've been using Amsoil 100% synthetic oil since 1974. It gives you more power, keeps engine clean like new inside. I started with a new L88 (defender type) 4 cyl, no AC, dual safari roof, and when it got wet, I had a crank to start the beast. A 1999 discovery II for 15 years, 09 RR sport HSE and now a 2016 LR4 HSE Lux. I do most of the maintenance, oil changes, expansion tank replacement, cooling systems, brakes. Amsoil the original synthetic oil manufacturer from Wisconsin, suggest to change oil every 25K miles. I change oil every 20K miles and filters every 10K miles. I use K&N reusable air filters, they last for the life of the car. But I am looking forwards to get me a 2021 Grenadier, since the real Defender was replaced by an expen$ive, elegant wagon with a defender name on the bonnet. If you maintain a Land Rover properly, it will last for a very long time. I live in Utah now.