Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I had our 2013 LR4 in the shop about six months ago with some weird brake issues. They mentioned to me that I needed a timing-chain overhaul.

I used to work a job where I did not have time to do much research into vehicle issues. Nor was I very interested in trying to fix anything myself to save some money. I just trusted the dealership. My work has changed since then and I have time to do some research and want to be somewhat economic. Anyhow, we decided to wait on the timing-chain overhaul.

Fast forward six months, we are at 120K miles, and I realized a few weeks ago that I was leaking coolant. Took the car in and got the following quote for $11K. I think I know that the coolant pipe and timing chains are big overhauls that have to be made to get to 200K miles. My wife and I love the car and want to get it to 200-250K miles, but are wondering if we could buy a LC with the annual expenses we will insure over the next 5-10 years with the current LR4...? How much should we expect to pay in annual maintenance after we fix the pipes and chains? And does anybody have any recommendations on somebody who could do it around Austin, TX?

Thanks!

upload_2021-1-24_11-13-11.jpeg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're looking at some heft repair bills no matter what, but the quote you got is pushing the upper envelope on costs.

I assume that's a LR Dealer?

Given the thread title, I assume you are looking for an indie in Austin? That would definitely be the route I'd take.

Although some have gone the DIY route on timing chains, it's a complicated job that takes multiple weekends.

The coolant pipes and control arms are things you can do yourself more easily. That said, they also aren't nearly that expensive at a good indie.

Reaction score
It is. Here in Austin.

The more research I do, the more I am grateful to have the 2013 V8, etc. so I want to keep it. Just wondering if it is going to be $5-10K per year or taper down until 200K, you know?

Any beta on how to go about finding a good indie?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is. Here in Austin.

The more research I do, the more I am grateful to have the 2013 V8, etc. so I want to keep it. Just wondering if it is going to be $5-10K per year or taper down until 200K, you know?

You definitely won't spend that much per year. The timing chain is the biggest $$$ job you'll have on these.

After the timing chain, coolant pipes, and lower control arms, the next "big" thing you may have is stuff related to the suspension. Compressor, valves, and air struts. But that's a "once every 100k miles or so" thing.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe just wait. I think there are some posters on here familiar with the Austin area.

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Austin Rover works is local. I believe they work on newer LRs. Also if you can do the drive Hill County British is well worth it just north of San Antonio.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pro-tech automotive did my differential refresh/locker install and I am very happy with their work.

Don't know if they have done any chain jobs, but on other items, I would not hesitate to recommend them.

ETA: I liked them enough after speaking with them that I put my LR4 on a trailer and hauled it to Austin so they could do the front locker install.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you can get it to Houston, I have Joel at British Auto Solutions in Katy does anything to mine that I don't want to do myself. He knows his Rover's inside and out.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mitch, how often were you getting your oil changed?

I don't think we've had too many 2013's with timing chain problems. Do you hear the chain rattle/whip when you start up?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV