Bad alignment cause suspension fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amosier23

Reaction score
Ok I got 2 new Kuhmo tires put on the other day and then took it to AAA to get an alignment so the tires would wear evenly. They said they couldn't do it because a bolt was stripped but could order the part. Well when they gave it back, the steering wheel was basically in the 11:00 position and rode more rough than before I gave it to them.

After driving for about an hour down the highway, all the sudden I got a bong that said DSC unavailable, a suspension fault and the car lowered itself which made for a very bumpy ride.

When I cut the car off, the faults reset and I can raise the car back up and run normal until I hit high speeds and it does those errors again and lowers itself.

Has anyone experienced this and is it due to the alignment not being right? It never did that before I took it to AAA. Needless to say I'm ****** and AAA is going to have to make this right. I just wanted to hear if anyone else has heard of this.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAA - Like the towing insurance folks? Unfortunately only a LR dealer (and some Ford dealers, very few indie shops, and handful of owners) have the computer equip to properly do an alignment. Locking the air suspension in "tight tolerance" mode and resetting the ride heights on all 4 corners is part of the alignment. Good luck!

amosier23

Reaction score
Yes AAA the tow company. They do basic things like oil changes, tires, alignments and etc.. They usually do a really good job and are thorough. Im here now, explained the problem so we'll see what happens. I'll reply when I find out.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it will cause the lights to come on the car pretty much thinks your trying to turn at a high speed rate. your steering angle sensor is causing these faults. you need to get it aligned. and you dont need to put it in tight tolerance mode , we never use to do that at the dealer .

amosier23

Reaction score
Just got the truck back from AAA. I just ran it down the highway and it didn't do the suspension thing so that's good. However, it's still pulling a little to the left. Could this be tire wear because they said they got it perfectly on the money.

It's also got a slight vibration even after they said they balanced the tires. I'm used to it running super smooth like it's on glass. Not sure if I should take it back or just roll with it.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You haven't mentioned the model, year or mileage.

You need to take the vehicle to a quality shop or dealer. This cannot be done properly without the proper equipment. An off the shelf alignment will not do. The fact you need to ask the question when you are paying someone to would indicate they do not know the answer. You should seek a qualified shop, mention your location and someone can suggest one.

There are any number of issues that are related to alignment, vibration, handling and so on and LR3/DIII such as;

steering column , box and damper
sway bar bushings
suspension bushes
ball joints, wheel bearings
mismatched tires/sizes/brands
air bags, dampers, compressor (EAS)
computerized height calibration
proper 4 wheel alignment

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members