Be honest! What's the deepest snow you've driven in with your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking a trip to our house in Northern Idaho. This is our first winter owning it. I would take the f350, but no sand bags that I could easily find, so we are taking the LR4. N. Idaho is due to get dumped on in the next few days. Six-12 inches with localized amounts to 18". I am thinking I can handle 12", but much more might be a little dicey? I am an experienced snow driver having grown up in the northern part of the midwest.

Who's been in big snow with your LR4 and how well did it manage. We have 3peak tires on it.

thanks

777AIA

Reaction score
Handled 23” of fresh snow up Elk Mtn years ago in my LR3 with no worries at all. All season tires too, not snows. Regularly in 12-16 in Utah when I head up to Alta, these days…
You won’t have trouble.. but, you won’t be making time if distance is a worry…

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Handled 23” of fresh snow up Elk Mtn years ago in my LR3 with no worries at all. All season tires too, not snows. Regularly in 12-16 in Utah when I head up to Alta, these days…
You won’t have trouble.. but, you won’t be making time if distance is a worry…
Thanks, that is definitely reassuring. The main roads will be plowed so I don't expect more than 6" of accumulation, which is totally fine. our side roads may or may not be plowed, but that's only a 1/2 mile. twenty three inches is some serious snow, good thing it was fresh. Merry christmas.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's fresh it can handle deep. Ruts etc less so. Are we talking driving up a 1/2 mile driveway? With snows these are a friggin tank. Easily "plowed" 36" of fresh on level ground up an access and driveway.

snow.JPG

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's fresh it can handle deep. Ruts etc less so. Are we talking driving up a 1/2 mile driveway? With snows these are a friggin tank. Easily "plowed" 36" of fresh on level ground up an access and driveway.

View attachment 21313
Well, we got here just fine and snowmagedon has now been downgraded to max of ten inches. That said, we had snow covered roads for a bit of the trip and I was able to easily maintain 65 mph in the LR. Honestly, I could have cruised at 70 no problem, but the wife was giving me the eye. That midwest snow training never really goes away even though I've been in the PNW for more than half my life.

ps: that's a serious heap a snow! Glad I was not the one of the business end of that shoveling job.

idyeats

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I live in North Idaho, and my newly acquired LR3 is having no problem at all handling this years snow. I even use it to pack down 12 to 16 inches of the stuff to gain access to areas of our farm. So far best snow vehicle I've owned here in 34 years.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I live in North Idaho, and my newly acquired LR3 is having no problem at all handling this years snow. I even use it to pack down 12 to 16 inches of the stuff to gain access to areas of our farm. So far best snow vehicle I've owned here in 34 years.
We are a bit north of you on Priest Lake. Sandpoint is an awesome town. We go there quite a bit in the summer.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a compound? lol. Beautiful country.

My only complaint wrt the LR4 in winter is that it sometimes feels a little unstable as it's track is slightly narrower which causes it to climb the sides if snow ruts have developed. Otherwise it is a tank.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi