Best way to attach winch to stock battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi greiswig, you connect the winch positive ( + ) cable to the cranking battery positive ( + ) terminal as shown in CRYA's photo and you connect the winch negative ( - ) cable to the two studs in the inner guard, located juts in front of the cranking battery compartment.

You will need to make up a bridge plate to join the two studs to allow for the high current to be spread over a bigger area.

This is a far simpler and quicker way to connect the winch negative and I have hundreds of D3/LR3 and D4/LR4 customers with this setup and it works perfectly.
Earth Nuts 2.jpg

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi again greiswig, I forgot to mention, you will need an M8 15mm bolt to secure the Positive ( + ) cable to the battery.

You should replace the Land Rover nuts on the studs in the inner guard with M6 locknuts because the Land Rover nuts never seem to lock properly after they have been removed and the used again.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi greiswig, you connect the winch positive ( + ) cable to the cranking battery positive ( + ) terminal as shown in CRYA's photo and you connect the winch negative ( - ) cable to the two studs in the inner guard, located juts in front of the cranking battery compartment.

You will need to make up a bridge plate to join the two studs to allow for the high current to be spread over a bigger area.

This is a far simpler and quicker way to connect the winch negative and I have hundreds of D3/LR3 and D4/LR4 customers with this setup and it works perfectly.
View attachment 22036

@drivesafe

Got a pre-cut plate I could buy off of you? I like that setup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut