***BEWARE LAND ROVER KNOXVILLE! ***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth Stewart

Reaction score
So Tuesday (March 5, 2019)I take my 2011 Sport in for a regular oil change/ tire balance & rotation. First they hit me with an extra $11.00 for a random bad lug nut but I am " ok fine". When it is ready I start it up and immediately notice a louder engine noise and much increased vibration. Worried that maybe they forgot to put oil in it ( I have heard it has happend to other folks) I got the service guy to come out. He , the service manager, and a tech say it sounds fine.. It take 10 minutes for the car to detect the oil level so I ask to wait and confirm before I drive off. They say ok. Few minutes later oil level shows max, start up , still rough.. driving off with a shudder. I think maybe it was the gas I got on the way up, so I go home and refill the tank. Next day, head out for several errands, forget cell phone so turn back around while still in subdivision. Open garage door to see a 3' x '4 pool of oil on the floor! Call the Knoxville folks back, end up getting it towed to Chatt Land Rover. Two days later they say it is some kind of vacuum crank something or other that just happened to fail...On a auto that was running perfectly and not leaking a single drop in almost 9 months of ownership?!?. So I am getting stuck with a $1,471.00 bill AFTER paying $200.00 plus! It is my deep OPINION that someone had to do something there to cause this there. I therefore recommend Land Rover of Knoxville (especially the service dept) be avoided at all cost. Pics to follow-- Any thoughts to what they could have done?
53799306_10156976407275279_1386796453992595456_o.jpg

53179262_10156976409835279_9077831873119387648_o.jpg

53454884_10156976408220279_2372774705812733952_o.jpg

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly the vacuum pump on the front of the engine right near alternator...mine has a slight leak from the gasket.

Honestly, they do all the oil changes from the top of the engine with a vacuum line. Easiest oil change ever. They should not have had to get under the truck for anything. Not arguing that they didn’t do something but it seems odd that they would have gone under the truck. Did they do any other work? If they did something like changing the alternator, I’d argue it’s much more likely they caused harm.

Hope you get the resolution you’re seeking.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a Mityvac on Amazon, oil filters from Atlantic British, Mobil 1 oil from Walmart and do your own oil changes. You can do it in 15 minutes which is probably less than time spent driving to the dealer.

And buy a set of Gorilla lug nuts to replace those stupid tin-capped OEM lug nuts.

Bogwhoppit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks
Buy a Mityvac on Amazon, oil filters from Atlantic British, Mobil 1 oil from Walmart and do your own oil changes. You can do it in 15 minutes which is probably less than time spent driving to the dealer.

And buy a set of Gorilla lug nuts to replace those stupid tin-capped OEM lug nuts.

I was thinking about these lug nuts, so you recommend them? As you know the LR originals are about $9.95 each.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What he said here. I have 2 sets, black and chrome. The black are several years on now and in perfect shape. They do say you're not supposed to use impact but I do only for removal. No need to impact on as a torque wrench is the best choice.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the same people own LR K'ville and LR Chattanooga. A friend of my took her LR2 in for an oil change and they charged her $600 because they did a "service". She was so mad she drove up to Toyota of Cleveland and traded it for a 4 Runner. I also have another friend who had a RRS they couldn't fix, it had an error code on the dash, not sure what but they spent way over $6000 and it was never fixed so they traded for a Lexus. LR Chattanooga when it first opened was cool, we hung out, did trail rides, but I guess it's all about the dollar now.

ElChuco

Reaction score

Paul, could you please tell me more about Gorilla lug nuts? Also, do you happen to know the correct torque offhand?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize im late to the game with this, but the vacuum pump is a $200-350 part. not including undersheild removal, i changes it in my driveway in 30 minutes. didn't even need the car on jacks.
$1400 is a rip-off, even after accounting for dealer markup. easily 2x what it should have been.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV