Blinding splash issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, we're in the monsoon here in the SW USA
The SO complains that even shallow puddles shower the 2015 LR's windshield with enough water to temporarily blind her. This was never an issue with her jelly-bean shaped van.
Any suggestions? Do you think adding front mudguards would change the flow of water up to the windshied?i

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh... Slow down?

Next item that will help would be to treat the windscreen with RainX, the water will flow right off.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front mudflaps will protect front fenders, doors and side windows, but won't really do anything for the windshield. I imagine she must be blinded by the vehicles preceding hers when they hit a puddle? Other than keeping extra distance in foul weather, I'd also suggest treating the windshield with RainX if that's an issue for her.

mko9

Reaction score
Yes, any decently large puddle hit with any kind of speed swamps the front window. I'm not even sure how it is physically possible. Rain-x helps clear it more rapidly, but I don't know how to keep it from happening in the first place.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you do, slow down or keep your distance as already stated. if water is hitting the windshield it is coming over the front bumper not from the rear of the tires so mudguards won't help. But in short, if water is flooding the windshield, she's driving relatively recklessly for the conditions IMO.

Last edited:

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rain just sits in the streets here in the Southwest USA where sewer pipes are not considered necessary. We are not talking about splashing from other vehicles. It is as mko9 says: the LR's wake/wave comes up over the hood and onto the glass, even at low speeds. Had a feeling mud-giards would not help.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue in Albuquerque and sometimes in Boston.
All other cars and trucks are doing fine but the LR4 splashes the windshield.
People talking about driving wrecklessly have no idea about the SW. Speed limit on most streets is at least 40mph and during the monsoon people still drive the speed limit or over. It would be dangerous to slow down to a point where the water doesn't splash the windshield.
This is a bad design issue but oh well, just memorize the road ahead of you ;)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a bad design issue but oh well, just memorize the road ahead of you ;)

I usually think it's fun but that's probably because I'm driving like a hooligan out on a trail somewhere and speed up for the puddles ;)

No seriously, I have noticed there is a speed range where it won't happen at all but then over that and it's pretty incredible really.

It could have something to do with the short front overhang though. I wouldn't jump to "bad design". The best thing in deepish water is to go slow not fast.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This does happen with big puddles, probably because the 6000 pounds pushes the water forward and up. The short overhang between the front tires and front bumper doesn't help either.

I can see where it can be a serious issue, but like jwest, I think it's fun and our kids love it when I hit a big puddle and water splashes up on the windshield.

Always keep your wipers on intermittent automatic mode so that the sensor will kick on the wipers as soon as the water hits the windshield.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this, because I really haven't had a problem with this with my past rovers. Maybe it's partially due to those two new 'air deflectors' or whatever they are down on the lower front fascia? I could see how those would help plow up water and throw it over the hood. Maybe try taking those off?
I haven't yet seen deep water with the LR4, so haven't experienced any differences yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick