1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Block heater for Td5

Discussion in 'Defender' started by TD50below, Feb 7, 2021.

1. TD50below

TD50below New Member

Hi. I’m in the process of buying a 90 with a TD5 in it (my first LR in 30 years), and due to where I live I’m going to need some form of engine heat to ensure that it will start (it was -44c this morning, -55c with the windchill. Do you have any idea how many cups of tea it takes to keep warm in those temps?)

My first choice is a simple block heater, but the problem is that no-one makes one. Not LR, and I haven’t been able to find an aftermarket one either. I’ve just heard of a friend of a friend who has a 300tdi (for which there is also apparently no such thing as a block heater), but he found one from a Ford tractor that fits and, he says, melts the snow off his bonnet.

The core plugs in a TD5 are 28mm and 46.5mm, apparently. I can find a 28mm block heater on Amazon for $100 and it may fit, but I’d love to hear from someone who found one that did for sure fit – tried and tested.

I’m aware that there are alternative options (e.g. Webasto), but that will be $3000 fitted whereas a block heater is a fraction of the cost and I can fit it myself. If I can find one. Someone somewhere makes a block heater that will fit. It won’t have been designed for a TD5, and whoever makes it may not know what a TD5 was if it fell on them out of a tree, but it will still fit. Can anyone help? Thanks!