Bluetooth phone & audio for 2011 LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to upgrade a 2011 LR4 to do Bluetooth phone and audio? It does phone calls just fine as standard, but the only way I've seen for audio is a Bluetooth dongle that pipes audio in through the aux or iPod port. My understanding is that would preclude Bluetooth calling. Any other easy options? If not, what would it take to swap in the infotainment from a newer lr4?

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you phone is dual channel BT capable (most are). You connect to the LR4 with "Call Only" and connect to the BT dongle or adapter as "Audio Only". All of my Samsung's have done this automatically.

Easy enough to buy a $10 BT dongle and connect it to the USB port. Or you can spend a lot more for the Bovee, and connect through the iPod port.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh nice, thanks! I didn't know dual channel BT was a thing. My phone is the latest model google pixel so it's probably so equipped. Digging into that now. Any advantage to the Bovee over a USB dongle?

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google support says my phone can only do one connection at a time which is unfortunate. They also say it's BT 5.0 which seems to be the standard that allows dual connections... I'll play with it.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BT5.0 is capable of dual channel.
Easy enough to setup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search the forum for my writeups of the Kinivo BTC 450 (they now offer a 460 and a 480 model). I used it for about 3 years to manage my streaming music and phone calls and it switched back and forth seamlessly. I mounted the little control button near my ignition switch and it was easy to access when I needed it. I was very happy with this inexpensive but effective BT workaround when I had a 2011 LR4. In fact, I may still have it. I removed it before trading in that LR4 on a 2013 last fall.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Bovee on my 2011 and it has worked great so far. Seamlessly switches between calls and audio and lets me use the steering wheel controls to skip songs and answer/decline calls.

DugLR4

Reaction score
I use the 30 pin to lightning adapter and plug it to the iPod dongle that came with the LR4. then I attach a lightning extension to my iPhone 7 and I'm able to make calls and stream from any music app. I bought both the adaptor and the cable from Amazon

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll see if there's something similar that is compatible with my pixel. Also off to read up on the other devices mentioned. Really appreciate all the help!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV