Brake pads already worn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenLen

Reaction score
First timer on a Land Rover - Got a 2016 LR4. At the 15k maintenance service, dealer recommended and replaced rear brake pads and sensor. Just other day driving down from Big Bear, I hit a little over 20k miles, and amber brake light came on with a message saying BRAKE PADS WORN. I expected brake pads to last longer -- is this typical for land rover?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, here in SoCal (about 50% stop-n-go traffic, 50% highway/freeway) I find the brake pads last me no more than 20-25K miles on average, and the rears seem to wear out marginally faster than the front ones - probably because they are considerably smaller. Rotors normally outlive 1 set of pads - sometimes 2, but it's rare. YMMV greatly, depending on driving conditions. If you drive aggressively, you may chew through a set in as little as 12-15K miles. If you deal with little or no city traffic where you live, 30K or even 50K miles between pads is not unheard of. This is a 3-ton bloated pig, and it shows in brake wear.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I changed all my pads at around 23k miles or so last Fall. Light wasn't on yet, but it was close. My guess is the light would have come on at 25k miles or so due to rears (fronts may have lasted a bit more - 28k?). Others have reported as little as mid teens before pads wear out.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear brakes engage a little bit before the fronts to prevent nose diving when stopping. I don't know that it is because the rotors are smaller, but it could be. I just think it is based on how the brake bias is setup.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will average 18-25K per pad change interval front or rear. my last two changes resulted in front and rear pads.
At 86K I have gone through 2 sets of rotors, and 3 sets of pads.

Check the rotors to see if they can be turned to save some cost.

It is also significantly cheaper, and most of us have seen better than OEM results, to go after market.
There are quite a few LR4 Brake post so some searching will reveal the answer you are looking for in regards to this.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear brakes engage a little bit before the fronts to prevent nose diving when stopping. I don't know that it is because the rotors are smaller, but it could be. I just think it is based on how the brake bias is setup.

I agree, I do lots of highway driving and my rear brakes we done at 45K. I'm at 55K and need new front brakes now.

My wife works nearby and drives the kids around all the time. She's at 20K miles and will need front and rear brakes very soon.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get more than about 20k out of a set of brakes

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have any issues with squeaks or squeals when replacing the pads only (keeping rotors)? Everytime I have ever tried that I get either vibration or annoying squeaks. At this point as soon as one set needs replaced (front or rear) I just do all 4 corners at once to be done with it, sort of like getting a new set of tires, I never replace just 2.

pabs406

Reaction score
Do any of you have any issues with squeaks or squeals when replacing the pads only (keeping rotors)? Everytime I have ever tried that I get either vibration or annoying squeaks. At this point as soon as one set needs replaced (front or rear) I just do all 4 corners at once to be done with it, sort of like getting a new set of tires, I never replace just 2.

pabs406

Reaction score
I replaced only the rear pads with OEM pads about 4000 miles ago. No squeeks here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV