Brake pads and Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canalawyer

Reaction score
Hi Forum, need to change my 4 rotors and brake pads, of course nothing better than oem, but somebody told me he replace rotors with this in the picture, that those works properly and he has is been using them for a while with no complains... What are your thoughts?
Screenshot_20170507-105421.png

Matthewwrn

Reaction score
Rotors and Pads_Page_1.jpg

I am really glad you started this thread as I just loaded my cart and figured I would check the forums to see if I could find some reviews. The reviews on Amazon are all extremely positive. These are definitely more expensive so hopefully someone has some good feedback on both choices.

I also respectfully disagree with you regarding the OEMs being the best. My OEMs wore out supper quick and I replaced them. The replacements were solid rotors and lasted far longer than the OEMs.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 7125

I am really glad you started this thread as I just loaded my cart and figured I would check the forums to see if I could find some reviews. The reviews on Amazon are all extremely positive. These are definitely more expensive so hopefully someone has some good feedback on both choices.

I also respectfully disagree with you regarding the OEMs being the best. My OEMs wore out supper quick and I replaced them. The replacements were solid rotors and lasted far longer than the OEMs.

I wouldn't use "solid" non-vented rotors at all but aftermarket can go either way, better or worse. I've heard good things on those EBC but my current set of OEM made by Brembo have lasted so far almost 80,000 miles I think !

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest....OEM by Brembo. Did you get the ones that go on the Supercharged RR or RRS?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest....OEM by Brembo. Did you get the ones that go on the Supercharged RR or RRS?

Doubt it - as I did not ask for such and they certainly aren't a different size either. The shop in Portland did it waaaaay back. Got my tank around same time. Now I'm really curious about exact mileage. Maybe I'll call them. Columbia Rovers.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't know what you mean by "OEM made by Brembo." The LR3's OE pads aren't Brembos, but some RRs come with Brembos. Anyway, I do know of Columbia Rovers, but haven't worked with them since Brent Sold out his interest.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I've understood it, OEM is not same as "factory/genuine" but anyway, I'm researching v6 sized parts for this next phase.

maxx4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the solid rotor - unless you're at the track and have a need to cool these rotors very quickly then stick to solid rotors as it's highly likely that you'll warp or even crack the drilled ones, plus you'll have added surface area and a LOT less noise. For the LR3 I've really loved the hawk HPS pads...EBC make great rotor replacements but our heavy trucks go through them so fast that the cheaper blanks are just fine too (I replace rotors with every pad change for these heavy guys - but I do tow so you may get away with every other pad change)...I tow and wheel and generally abuse the heck out of the truck and the cheaper blanks with the HPS pads are a great combo...make a tiny bit of noise but really not noticeable over the stock setup. I would recommend flushing the lines with a quality brake fluid while you're at it...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the solid rotor - unless you're at the track and have a need to cool these rotors very quickly then stick to solid rotors as it's highly likely that you'll warp or even crack the drilled ones, plus you'll have added surface area and a LOT less noise. For the LR3 I've really loved the hawk HPS pads...EBC make great rotor replacements but our heavy trucks go through them so fast that the cheaper blanks are just fine too (I replace rotors with every pad change for these heavy guys - but I do tow so you may get away with every other pad change)...I tow and wheel and generally abuse the heck out of the truck and the cheaper blanks with the HPS pads are a great combo...make a tiny bit of noise but really not noticeable over the stock setup. I would recommend flushing the lines with a quality brake fluid while you're at it...
When the person wrote "solid", it sure sounded to me it meant not vented. I'm talking about the disc being one vs two with veines in between, not drill holes. Vented does not mean drilled.
When these weigh so much, long hills can be worse than a track even though it's one time, not multiple corners that causes overheating.

However, just like in a track, one should not just ride the brakes lightly, the best way to keep heat down is to use short but hard braking so the system can reduce some heat between uses.

This is more intuitive in a track where you want to maintain speed and reduce the amount of time spent slowing down to shorter distance. On a descent, most people just gently ride the brakes which is the worst possible plan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72