Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SassyManes

Reaction score
I have a 2016 LR4… anyone have brake issues? Less than a year I had to replace brakes due warping….
Also, my automatic headlights keep switching at Wrong times…. Literally, 10 feet away went bright to dim quickly like flicking to go to someone!!

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes are always an issue with 6500lbs trucks. It sucks. Count on doing pads or rotors or both every 10-14k.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always use quality OEM Rotors or Zimmerman rotors. I went with EBC rotors and pads. They stop the truck on a dime and last around 25k miles (pads). The ebc rotors have been on for about 50k miles so far and look like they could go another set of pads. The only problem with the orangestuff ebc pads is that they give off a ton of brake dust...and i mean a ton. Thats the tradeoff with exceptional braking. I don't care however...braking performance could mean life or death for you, your passengers, or even a pedestrian. An inch or two could make a huge difference.

shawn luton

Reaction score
Re: my 2016 LR4: I'm on my second set of EBC rotors/pads (kit from Atlantic British: https://www.roverparts.com/brakes/kits/8887EBC/). The first set got about 8k miles before the pads and rotors wore below spec and the front was vibrating badly when braking (felt in steering wheel). EBC sent me a replacement set and I only got about 3k miles into them before they began to vibrate when braking (front) just like the previous set. My mechanic indicates these latest rotors are "warped", but with only 3k miles, i'm not sure. Anyone else had any issues w/ EBC (GD rotors and greenstuff truck pads)? I'm thinking of going back to OEM, which lasted about 30k miles.

shawn luton

Reaction score
He did not. When I mentioned that possibility to him based on EDC representative feedback, he said it was "highly unlikely". Would this be an issue that gradually occurs or starts from the beginning of new rotor install? I ask b/c the issue (both times) hasn't been noticed immediately after install, but after some drive time (8k miles and 3k miles, respectively).

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its happening that many miles after install, it’s got to be warping from heat. I’ve read that drilled/slotted rotors warp more easily. I went with zimmermann - they’ve been fine. Could also be a caliper getting stuck/dragging and causing one of your rotors to overheat.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have runout upon installation then the braking action can be smooth and then manifest itself after 1000s of miles. At first the pads skip from the high points in the rotor to the low. This skipping becomes worse until it can be felt by the user. Brakes seem smooth at first and then get worse after a few thousand miles.. It could also be that the brakes were not run in properly. I find if I get a little vibration some long hard and hot stops usually corrects the problem (pad build up?). As mentioned also check that the calipers are floating nicely on the pins. Use a silicone brake lubricant and avoid any synthetics/ceramic blends that claim to be safe for rubber.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes are always an issue with 6500lbs trucks. It sucks. Count on doing pads or rotors or both every 10-14k.
10-14k!? I brake pretty lightly when coming to stop lights and I’ve gone about 16k on new pads and rotors and my brakes still feel pretty good, like they could go another 15k at least. 14k is a really short life span.

Jermgallo

Reaction score
Which EBC Break pads and rotors do i needs for a 2011 lr4. It seems i can't get a straight answer from anyone locally and searching online I dont know which ones to get. There is green stage 3 or green stage 5 etc. Just lost on getting the proper ones. If anyone can help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA