Broken part while trying to replace water pump and I don't know what it is called?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Carsonowens

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this site. I made an account because I have been trying to find a part that broke while I was trying to replace my water pump due to a coolant leak. My car is currently un-driveable and I simply cannot afford to get it towed to a mechanic at the moment. The piece connects some hoses together one from the water pump and one from the throttle (i think). Below are 2 pictures of the part. One first one is the one I broke and the second is one one the only pictures I could find online of it and I don't even think its from a land rover I think it is from Jaguar.
IMG-3476.JPG IMG-3480.JPG IMG-3475.JPG IMG-3477.JPG
The first and last pictures are where the part connects to everything else and the other two are pictures of the part itself. If you have any idea what the little part is called or if you have any idea on how I can figure it out please let me know, thank you.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the Thermostat Hose bypass.
About $130 to buy from dealer. Goodluck finding it anywhere else.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the fix. If money is an issue perhaps a LR4 is not the vehicle of choice. Lots of spendy fancy bits that need ah TLC and the thing drinks gasoline.

Carsonowens

Reaction score
I think the part in question is LR045238.

http://miamibritish.com/shop/land-rover-thermostat-hose-kit-range-lr4-rr-sport-5-0l-lr012636-oem/

The bottom part in the diagram.

Is the part definitely broken or did you undo it and just broke the hose?
Thank you everyone for your help. Yes the part is most definitely broken. This is the part with the number LR045238 and it’s called the throttle body heater hose. However, whenever I tried to look up the part for some reason it said it doesn’t fit my make and model which is a 2012 Lr4 base. 443C4281-977E-4AF6-A823-096CFA8570FC.pngI checked with multiple sites to make sure it wasn’t just this site. I’m 100% certain that’s the part I need but why does it say it doesn’t fit? Also whenever I look up “ throttle body heater hose” with the part number it’s shows me this88DB014C-D5C5-40C0-A100-E9360CBD577D.jpeg I’m wondering if maybe this is a new version? I don’t want to order this if it’s not what I need, so if anyone has any experience with this new part I would appreciate the feedback.
This isn’t a huge problem because I’ve just been driving my sons truck since he can ride with freinds to work. If need be I can order the full thermostat kit that you sent a link to or even take it to a mechanic. But I would prefer not to since we just bought a new house and are trying not to spend much.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks exactly like the part that broke off inside your engine. Plenty of web sites confirm that the part # is compatible with your LR4 (as well as any other model year LR4 with the V8 engine, 2010 to 13 included), as well as pretty much every other Land Rover vehicle with the same engine, such as 2010-13 Sport, Range Rover, etc. It's only 40 bucks anyway, even though a dealer. Don't overthink it, get it.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not trust internet web sites for vehicle compatibility, even if the site is from a dealership. The online catalogs are almost always incomplete and often have misleading, if not flat inaccurate, information. The only valid source for part numbers is Microcat, which is the dealer electronic part catalog.

Bottom line, you will need to contact a dealer directly and have a real person confirm if the part number is correct for your year / model, unless you want to buy the Microcat (bootlegs available on eBay), or just buy the part and hope it works. If you pick the latter option, check the vendor's return policy first.

o_O

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I saw somewhere that this part was updated somewhere along the LR4 run. (I think it may have been on a video tutorial of someone replacing either the crossover pipe or the water pump). That may explain the reason some website says it's not meant for earlier vehicles.

The reality is that all vehicles should be updated with this new part when the water pump is being swapped out. Makes me wonder if OP's water pump has been replaced already.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72