BT Hack for Pre-2013 LR4's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my biggest grips on my LR4 is the infotainment system that resembles a 2001 Honda Civic.
I hate all of the wires needed to do audio from my phone.
I have tried numerous ways around the BT audio. Adapter for iPhone jack (works intermittently, when it wants to), BT connector for AUX (works but a lot of back feeding when plugged into the power port).

I think I have finally found a solution
A simple $8.99 BT to USB Receiver from Amazon.
I had a hard time connecting initially when plugged into the USB port on the LR4. So I took it back to my laptop for the initial connection. Once my phone had the ID correct. I was able to move back to the LR4 and connect. The LR4 thinks it is a thumb drive, so the audio just passes through.
So far so good, and for only a $9 investment, was worth the risk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MN7YST/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Huy Tran

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Are you able to stream audio from apps like Pandora, YouTube, spotify...?
Or is this reading and playing media files from your phone?

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Are you able to stream audio from apps like Pandora, YouTube, spotify...?
Or is this reading and playing media files from your phone?

It only steams the audio.
There is no control over the phone itself.
The BT Dongle converts the stream into packets, "feeding" the audio system. The audio system thinks they are standard MP3 files.
It can be a little quircky sometimes. But when it works. It is great.

I use Google Music, and Pandora primarily. But I also stream standard audio files as well.

Elinders

Reaction score
There is also the Bovee that some people, including me, have on here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B52LLJ6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this cord
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5NKGBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty seamless. We use Amazon Music and when we leave the car, it pauses. When we get back in, it starts up right where we left off without having to touch a thing. I just leave my phone in my pocket and I can use the steering wheel controls to change the track and the song info shows up on the Infotainment screen.

Jaguar, you mentioned no control over the phone itself, so I guess you look at your phone to change tracks or see what's playing? I think I'm reading that right. But still, that's a good solution for $9. I guess it depends what you are looking for.
My solution was $88 + $23.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my Gear s3 watch, plus my S8 is mounted to my dash, so it's pretty easy to change songs.
If my phone is not mounted I do not pick it up to review (too dangerous).

I have tried the Bovee, and two other similar devices.
I have not had good luck with them (same with other LR4s) they can be hit or miss for the early production 2011 (like mine), and all 2010.

With that being said I am happy with my current solution.

Elinders

Reaction score
Got it.
I had an issue with an error message on the bovee. But then I learned that it was because I had deleted my itunes and it couldn't recognize my phone. I put itunes back on my phone (I don't have to open it or anything, the bovee just needs to know it's there) and have not had a single issue with it since May.
But it's good to know there are other options out there, depending on what works for people.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the majority of the problem with the iPhone interface, even if just using it to convert from a BT connection, is that it still has to be used with an Apple product.

We are an Android Family, so options may be limited because of that.

But yes I am happy to have found a solution and hope it works out for others as well.

bahnburner

Reaction score
Mine arrived and it's a great solution at a great price! I was so close to getting a Bovee but this seems to do the trick for literally 10x less money. The only issue Im having is it takes a few seconds for the streaming music to start playing over the speakers (even though play timer on my iPhone is counting down). If you hit the next controls on the steering wheel or dash, it seems to get the music to come up quicker.

Thanks for the find and letting us know!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA