Buying a LR3 or maybe a LR2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedog18

Reaction score
I've owned 94 and 99 Jeep Grand Cheroke ltd and grown tired of the jeep brand. I'm looking at picking up either a 05 or 06 LR3 or LR2. Since this is the LR3 section my question are for the LR3. I would love to have better mpg but again everyone else would too. I drive 80% highway and I was wonder on average what everyone was getting. Any issues you had, what are your likes and dislike with your LR3. How's the tire wear?

I think my hang up on the LR3 is the gas and if I should I buy a pre own from the dealer or save some extra cash and buy private. But with LR2 I don't like not having a middle console and my dog might have problems jumping in the front when he cross that section and having enough room in the back for storage.

Last edited:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an LR2 as a loaner a couple weeks back and the what a stark difference between the two. I suggest driving both and it should become immediately clear which you will want. There were some features of the LR2 I liked, but there were some other things like glare off the dash surfaces that I could not get past.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get about 19 on a trip have hit 20 on a few trips If I go the speed limit. but ave 16 running hear and there every day.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winter we averaged 13-14 city only, summer +1. Hwy 17 or up, don't recall 20 ever.
Right tires wear better. My Toyo HT version in 19" were wearing beautifully and were good on-road compromise tires for our family truck.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit 20 to 22 on highway trips, without too much weight. When I had no expedition rack and the stock tires, I was able to get 22-24 on the same trips. 15-16 day to day is the norm. That didn't change much with the tires and rack. I am pretty light on the gas pedal.

My wife has a 2006 Grand Cherokee with the V8 (non-hemi) and matches my mileage. The LR3 is much larger and heavier though. I personally think it gets great mileage for its size and function.

I have had the LR2 as a loaner a few times and I really like it. I would definately buy one as a replacement for the Jeep. It is a great size for around town and fun to drive. Nothing bad on the Jeep, just that I thought the smaller LR2 was fun, agile and got great mileage.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got both a 2008 LR3 and a 2008 LR2 (first year). They are very different vehicles. Both feel rock solid on the highway and maintained dirt roads. I don't take the LR2 for serious off-roading because of a lack of rock-crawl mode and no air suspension--I don't hesitate to take it in mud or snow but the tires I have on it are much less aggressive than what I have on the LR3. Both of them get driven about 20k/year, the LR2 gets around 23-25 mpg on the highway, the LR3 gets 18-20.

Both are great cars, but the LR2 feels a lot smaller (because it is). The V-6 is pretty powerful and the car has no problem maintaining the speed limit in the mountains (rock steady on 75 mph going into Flagstaff or up to the Eisenhower Tunnel).

The LR3 carries a lot of stuff OR a lot of folks (not much room for stuff when the 3rd row seats are up).

I'm glad I have them both.

David

bluedog18

Reaction score
I've drove both already and yea both of the them handle differently and they handle great. I think both handles better then my jeep grand cheroke. my jeep which has a V8 gets about 18.5 mpg that with 80% highway and 20% in town. If I get the same mileage with the LR3 as my jeep, the LR3 may be the way to go.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average 19 highway and combined 17.4. Don't buy a land rover/ range rover for gas mileage though...buy it for its comfort, endless off road possibilities and styling. I had a sharp 2007 yukon denali before this and I don't miss that tank at all. Although I was getting 20-21 mpg with that

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bluedog...so you drove them both. Buy the one you liked better. I don't really think that someone on the forum can make this decision for you and since you've already driven both of them the rest is up to you.

That said, if you're not going to take it offroad I think I'd get something sportier. All things the same, the LR2 may be a better choice for you if you like the way both look and drive.

bluedog18

Reaction score
bluedog...so you drove them both. Buy the one you liked better. .

That's the problem I like them both, maybe I need to play the lottery and when I hit it big, then I can buy both! I wanted to see what others like and dislike about the two models. I will being taking offroad but not going wild like some of the other people here on the site. If I had kids or new I was going to have kids in the next 5 years I would just go wtih LR3 and not look back. My dog can care less as long as he can stick his head out the window. LR2 will do most of the things I do now. What I need to do is write a list what I like and dislike about both and go from there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV