Buying this 2015 LR4 Lux Pkg w/ HD Pkg, but am freaking out about the RUST! Should I walk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4swamp

Reaction score
This car has 70k miles and is in perfect shape inside and out, HOWEVER, I'm worried about what I'm seeing underneath! This will be my first Land Rover, and YES I've done the research and understand the maintenance headaches that could come along with keeping it alive. My understanding was that these headaches impact LR4s without rust, so what am I getting myself into when it comes to this example here, which has rust seemingly left and right?

Is the rust on this example not that big of a deal (something you would see on most LR4s these days) and something that can be easily treated? Or do you see this level of rust as a BIG RED FLAG, a purchase I should walk away from and keep looking for the right LR4? I'm sending the car in for PPI tomorrow. Would also appreciate it if you shared any specific things I should ask the mechanic to inspect. :)

I appreciate your feedback/support/guidance!!

front right 2.jpg
front right.jpg
Suspension Sleeve.jpg
Ehaust Rust.jpg
more rust.jpg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to tell with the photos. It's not great but it doesn't look awful.

Any surface rust I wouldn't really worry about, but it looks a bit deeper in some of the photos. I see you're in Chicago? Is that where the car is located? Seems pretty typical for the rust belt.

You will most definitely spend more time/money getting rusted parts off/apart.

I would wait and see how the PPI comes back. When you start getting a ton of rust/rot on the frame is where I would probably call it quits. You can probably find a rust free example out west, but with the HD package that might take a lot longer to locate.

I'm in Arizona so my car is completely rust free, minus the stainless steel exhaust... 2013 with 115k miles.

As far as things to look for...

- The lower control arm bushings wear out around 70-100k miles.
- Any coolant leaks, especially anything coming from the crossover pipes. This car is probably due for crossovers regardless if they're leaking or not. Sometimes the water pumps go early on these too.
- Timing chain (You can feel the tightness through the oil cap) however, on the later models this seems to be much less of a problem.
- Air suspension leaks
- These cars wear through brakes and tires quickly
- There is a fuel tank flange recall. Could check to see if that has been completed or not. You would need to pull service records or check with a dealer.

I don't own the supercharged V6, but I'm pretty sure something with the supercharger pulleys or something gets worn out and can be easily replaced. Someone else can chime in on this.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that doesn’t look too bad. I too owned a Chicago car for a while. I did spend at the mechanic for various seized bits and bobbles. The worst being a seized caliper piston. But nothing that can’t be fixed.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lived in Michigan for several years in the early 2000s. I am originally from Washington State and moved back there to stay once I left Michigan. The point being there is no rust problem in Washington State while in Michigan it was just an accepted fact of life. I would literally see older vehicles with rusted out lower door panels and everything underneath. They would call them "rust buckets" but still drive them around. I couldn't imagine how anyone would do that. Seems in certain regions of the country a bit of rust on the undercarriage is nothing to worry about. Personally, I can't stand it. To me, it looks like metal rot. But that's just me. Like I said, others have a lot more tolerance for it.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, there's nothing there to worry about! I'm in Michigan, sure, there's rust on the cars!... If chunks of rust/metal are falling off then you need to worry but what you have here is surface rust!

4x4swamp

Reaction score
I'm so pleased to see this kind of positive feedback!! Let's see how the PPI comes back :)

Reaction score
This car has 70k miles and is in perfect shape inside and out, HOWEVER, I'm worried about what I'm seeing underneath! This will be my first Land Rover, and YES I've done the research and understand the maintenance headaches that could come along with keeping it alive. My understanding was that these headaches impact LR4s without rust, so what am I getting myself into when it comes to this example here, which has rust seemingly left and right?

Is the rust on this example not that big of a deal (something you would see on most LR4s these days) and something that can be easily treated? Or do you see this level of rust as a BIG RED FLAG, a purchase I should walk away from and keep looking for the right LR4? I'm sending the car in for PPI tomorrow. Would also appreciate it if you shared any specific things I should ask the mechanic to inspect. :)

I appreciate your feedback/support/guidance!!

View attachment 23177View attachment 23178View attachment 23179View attachment 23180View attachment 23182
Man thats pretty rust free from where I am located, I purchased a 015 LUX back in August 22 with low mileage with more surface rust than that. If you are looking for inspiration there are 2 youtube channels I regularly watch Notthatkindofachannel and LR time ..if you are really interested in digging deep!

sceh

Reaction score
Get rid of it asap. The rust is just the beginning. You will have dozens of electrical issues and what is that liquid running down from the wheel hub? Pretty soon a new timing belt and the list goes on. For what you might pay, but a Toyota

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi