Buying Tips for 2009-2012 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jducote

Reaction score
I am new to the site and would like to know some considerations when purchasing a pre-owned 2009-2012 HSE. Any advice is appreciated.

spawnywhippet

Reaction score
While I am not an expert, I do my own maintenance and repairs, so my advice is aimed at the kind of person who will do their own PPI and maintenance. I would aim for the 2012+ model, which has a better 5.0 V8 from Jaguar. The earlier BMW motors often had timing chain issues by 100k miles.
  • The transmission is an expensive service. Land Rover says it has a lifetime fluid, whereas ZF who make the transmission says it should be changed at 75k miles. To do this job as per Land Rover, you need to drop the subframe, exhausts and then drop the pan with built in filter, takes many hours. Alternatively, you just drop the pan, saw off the filter neck and reinstall a BMW pan with replaceable filter. No need to drop all the subframe and exhausts and the job is much cheaper as you only need to replace the filter and fluid from then on.
  • The infotainment system runs quite slowly (at least on my 2012 HSE). Takes up to 2 seconds to respond to a command.
  • Front control arms often need doing between 50 and 70k miles.
  • Some LR4's don't have roof rack mounts, 3rd row of seats or tow pack electrics, check this carefully if you need them.
  • Check the underneath carefully for corrosion, I believe a few of the cars suffered galvanic corrosion which was extremely difficult to remove and very expensive.
  • Scan the car for codes, you will often find a lot of dormant or benign codes caused by flat batteries, so clear them, take a long drive then scan again. Especially check the timing if you have an advanced scanner.
  • Air compressor gives trouble as it gets older, look for 'filling slowly' errors. Costs $500 to DIY replace and the new part has to be coded to the VIN. Or you can buy a rebuild kit and fix the old compressor.
  • Spark plugs need replacing at 105k miles, easy DIY and genuine plugs are about $15 each.
  • Check for wet front carpets. Often the sunroof drain tubes crack or break and water ends up inside the cabin. Not difficult to fix, but can cause electrical issues if not fixed quickly.
  • Check the Carfax and maintenance records carefully for regular oil changes and work. If the car is dirty and smells inside, likely the car has not been maintained well.

Tony Cabler

Reaction score
Looking at getting a 3rd RR. A 2011 w/85k, great service records all recommended maintenance performed by a LR dealer.
Drives like new. 1st test drive, check engine light came on, showing multiple misfires...had a low battery so maybe injectors not firing completely? Drove for 20 miles, problem didn't return. 2nd test drive radio wouldn't work...I like it but I'm hesitant...any advice would be greatly appreciated. My 1st was a 2000 HSE, 2nd is a 04 HSE...they had huge problems. I love the brand and hoping 3rd times a charm.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony,

First Being a huge LR fan myself, I will say this. If you are starting out with a vehicle that is already having issues, if they can't change the battery and make it all work, walk away. Also keep in mind the 2011 has a 5.0 engine which is known for timing chain issues.

Tony Cabler

Reaction score
Thanks Joey, I agree. It'll take a very long test drive after they say they've fixed it to convince me.
I'm not afraid of the timing chain tensioner/rail/ guide problem. Thats an easy fix. Just time consuming. Shops charge too much so I do all the maintenance. 2 to 4K for an upgrade? I don't think so. I'm looking at an '08 now...do you know what issues the Jag 4.4 had? I'm not finding much. Anyway...thanks for the response Joey.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The 4.4 is almost bullet proof. That is what I have that and the 4.2 supercharged are both very good. I have seen 400k miles and still going on the 4.4.

Tony Cabler

Reaction score
Well, I found and purchased a 2006 RR HSE SC.
It's the cleanest 06 I've seen. Original paint is like new, everything works and it looka/acts like it's been baby'd it's whole life however I noticed yesterday, the A/C started blowing hot air from one side of the module. I recall having the same problem with my 04 but didn't have a fix for it.
Any Ideas before I take it to a $150.00 hr. Mechanic?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
So one side is cold and not the other. Blend motor or control module. Hard to test without spares.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just found this and it may help.

You can relearn the blend motors by holding Econ and Recirc at the same time, then turning on the key.

If one is failed, this will do nothing, but if it has lost it's position, it might take care of the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA