Camshaft Profile Switching Solenoid 5.0L V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feathersg

Reaction score
I removed the bank 2 CPS solenoid from the rear of the intake head to see if it was working. used battery power to operate the solenoid and it wouldn't move. Cleaned it up and it started to operate, but not retract when de-energized - no spring return.

Questions:
  1. Does this solenoid have a return spring inside that returns the solenoid to home position when de-energized or does oil pressure push the pintle back?
  2. What is the LR part number for the Camshaft Profile Switching Solenoid for the 5.0L V8 2010MY? So far, this is the hardest part I have ever tried to find.

From the workshop manual.

The CPS solenoids control the supply of engine oil pressure to the locking pins in the switchable tappets, to switch the tappets between the two cam profiles. A CPS solenoid is installed on the rear of each cylinder block. Each CPS solenoid has a pintle installed in a sleeve, which incorporates oil inlet and outlet holes. The sleeve is installed at the junction of oil galleries in the cylinder head, with the oil inlet and outlet holes aligned with the galleries. Movement of the pintle in the sleeve controls a connection between the oil galleries. When the CPS solenoid is energized, the pintle connects an oil supply gallery to the gallery
along the outboard side of the switchable tappets. When the CPS solenoid is de-energized, the oil gallery along the outboard side of the switchable tappets is connected to drain. The CPS solenoids receive a fused battery supply from the main relay. The ECM switches a ground connection to operate the solenoids.

IMG_3212.JPG IMG_3210.JPG

Last edited:

feathersg

Reaction score
Question 2: LR025967 looks like the same thing but only fits the LR2

Last edited:

feathersg

Reaction score
You have better eyes than I do. I thought that 8 was a 3. Still can't find a new stock item.

I have pulled both from my engine and they both do the same thing. No spring return. I am going to assume that this is normal and reinstall. At least they are clean now. Both read about 7.5 ohm. Not the easiest to get out and not going to fun putting back in.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried asking on one of the jag forums? I did a search on jag engines to come up with the part number

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is looking for this part number, it's LR012112 - mine are working fine but are leaking oil according to the dealer, they suggested replacing both units, estimated at $1006 for parts and labor.

Seems excessive when you can just replace the seals, anyone have a part number or a good alternative replacement for these seals? Workshop or parts diagrams don't have separate part numbers for the seals from what I can see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut