Car stallls while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's happened to me twice now in a month and this time with the wife in the car with me. Needless to say she's freaked out. I'll be driving 15 mph and it will shut off, loss of power steering, etc. I've searched and seen this happen to some and problems were diode on coil pack, mass airflow sensor MAF, vacuum hose leak, other heavy keys on key chain??

I'm calling the dealer today. Any thoughts...it's 2006 SE w/ 60k. Battery was replaced 2009.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...any messages in the info center or faults illuminated? Sorry that has happened; please report back what the dealer says.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 minutes before I got a brief reduced engine performance but it went off after 10 seconds. I thought nothing of it since it immediatley went off. Driving along and bam...no power. Car is heading to the dealer Monday morning.

MikeLi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. With the reduced performance message goes away and when I slow down it will stall. Loved when it happens on the highway or on a turn. To get it restarted I would put in in nutural and restart while it's rolling.

Took about two months of figuring out before I was able slove the problem.

It turns out to be the MAF sensor and air leaks from the intake tube. Check my thread about the intake tube. http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=17241&highlight=intake

Also check my other thread about the MAF http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=16661&highlight=Mass+flow

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case,all the above symptoms turned out to be a caused by bad positioning sensor in throttle body.Since there is no individual sensor to buy, i replaced a entire throttle body (not a big job at all) and all went back to normal,finally....After all those weeks replacing possible causes such as air leaks,new MAF,new air filter,New spark plugs,THAT really did it.Dealer diagnosed ,but I have replaced it myself .You need to reset a transmission adaptions after that,otherwise you may end up with a jerky ride.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this make sense? They're saying the stalling is from carbon build up in the induction system. Of course its not going to be covered by my warranty now.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as it might be a case of some carbon build up, would a code pop up about being a bad MAF? They want to do the 3 step fuel system cleaner which I read in another thread as being pointless as it might be them just trying to make some extra dough and I should just dump a bottle of BG 44k in and I'll be fine?? The car isn't idling rough, it just stalled out on me twice in a few week period after receiving reduced engine performance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut