Career advice needed..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by davfoto, Jul 9, 2018.

1. davfoto

davfoto Member

I don't know if this is a good place to post this or posting it at all.

Essentially my issue is, I've been a photographer for the past 9-10 years and have been unemployed for the past year and I just can't live like this anymore. I've had a total of 10 days of freelance work out of 365 days and I can't sustain myself on that. I wanted to get opinions and or anyone in different fields that may think I could do something different with minimal schooling needed. I had been wanting to get back into Architecture however that would require probably another 5-6 years of education (BS and MArch degrees), plus I don't know the outlook with Architecture, but if the outlook was good and I could get started in that right away after school, I'd go that route in a heartbeat.

Let me know if this makes sense at all. I'm just looking for options that I can jump into with experience in photography, art direction and some retail/auto sales. I tried working in the auto industry for sales and I sucked at it.

Any suggestions are helpful.

2. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

Have you looked into Drone work? I.E. Video or even property mapping? Survey type work? Get your commercial Drone licence and some mapping software and new job. I am sure you can freelance or look at drone jobs in your area. I know a guy that does photography work over job sites with his plane, but drones are much cheaper and he makes a living still.