CB Radio installs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All...

I searched and only found one thread regarding CB's. Anybody have any recommendations? I realize HAM is the way to go, but most of the folks I wheel with have traditional radios.

TIA.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option to consider...

My car club uses 2-way FRS radios to communicate. Hand held, inexpensive, and many have a range of 2+ miles.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the LR3, the simplest way to mount a CB radio is to use something like the Cobra 75-WXST. I mounted mine with the little controller part attached to the frame under the passenger seat, and of course with the antenna wire under the carpet, over to the drivers side, and then out the rear through the gromment behind the drivers side rear tailight. I routed my power lead directly to the battery through the steering column grommet

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the LR3, the simplest way to mount a CB radio is to use something like the Cobra 75-WXST. I mounted mine with the little controller part attached to the frame under the passenger seat, and of course with the antenna wire under the carpet, over to the drivers side, and then out the rear through the gromment behind the drivers side rear tailight. I routed my power lead directly to the battery through the steering column grommet

Thanks Nathan. What about the antenna? Where did you mount that?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nathan. What about the antenna? Where did you mount that?

I had a custom mount that attached below the rear brake light, but it's a terrible location because 50% of the antenna facing forward was blocked by the vehicle. You want your antenna to be mounted so that the base of it is in the center of a flat metal plane, such as the roof or hood. A mag-mount Wilson 48" wire whip antenna between your front and rear skylights will be the best performing. Short of that, a HAM style mount that clips on to the upper part of the hatch will work pretty well.

LR3-ham-install-04-800.gif

* Some notes about that photo:
1. that's a 2M HAM antenna (and cable)
2. That was a test location, I ended up moving it to the far right (passenger side) after that photo was taken
3. I would still use that general location, but maybe mounted into the roof rails, for a CB antenna. There are photos of some good installs on Disco3.co.uk for that

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a custom mount that attached below the rear brake light, but it's a terrible location because 50% of the antenna facing forward was blocked by the vehicle. You want your antenna to be mounted so that the base of it is in the center of a flat metal plane, such as the roof or hood. A mag-mount Wilson 48" wire whip antenna between your front and rear skylights will be the best performing. Short of that, a HAM style mount that clips on to the upper part of the hatch will work pretty well.

LR3-ham-install-04-800.gif

* Some notes about that photo:
1. that's a 2M HAM antenna (and cable)
2. That was a test location, I ended up moving it to the far right (passenger side) after that photo was taken
3. I would still use that general location, but maybe mounted into the roof rails, for a CB antenna. There are photos of some good installs on Disco3.co.uk for that

Awesome. And suggested sources for radios, accessories, etc?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV