Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light came on yesterday. Its an 05 with 77k. It appears to idle kinda rough when cold start and I assume that is the thermostat. Should I react immediately to this issue or can it wait till next weekend. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the t-stat to me. It can definitely wait, I had my check engine light on for maybe a few months before changing out the t-stat. You'll just get a rougher idle at start up until the engine warms up.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I replace it will I have to go to the dealer to reset the code or will it take care of itself?

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a good question. The dealer replaced mine (under extended warranty) but I'm pretty sure the code will clear itself. My check engine light would only appear when it was cold outside. When it warmed up, it would go away by itself.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't appear to go away when warmed up.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check engine light popped up yesterday following a reduced engine performance message.I had this combo before on ,about a month a go while traveling back home from Maine to NJ.Amber light(orange) stayed on for about a day , than vanished very next day.Occasionally I am getting reduced engine performance message usually once every 2 weeks but not along with check engine light.This just happened this passed Sunday after LR event in upstate NY.I don't think it is serious problem ,no temperature rising ,no reduced performance,so could this be thermostat or something else,catalytic converters maybe?Can somebody chime in ,please?

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't appear to go away when warmed up.
Sorry, i mean to say when the temperature warmed up outside. When the weather got warmer, the engine light would go away and the idle wouldn't be too rough. Just those cold morning during the first few cold fronts made the tstat issue noticeable.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get your codes read at a local auto parts store, many do it for free. Then when you know hat is wrong, deal with it then get the codes cleared. By the way, never wait on getting the codes read, it could cost you dearly$$$$$$$.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get your codes read at a local auto parts store, many do it for free. Then when you know hat is wrong, deal with it then get the codes cleared. By the way, never wait on getting the codes read, it could cost you dearly$$$$$$$.

Mike, I wish you knew the LR3 better. You are a fountain of valuable info on Disco's, but the LR3 is so totally different. You cannot read the codes at an auto parts store. The IDS system is not ODBII compliant. You need to go to a dealer or independent service shop that has the VERY expensive IDS computer & software.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, quick question for you..

If the IDS system is not ODBII compliant then how does the LR3 pass smog checks up in Washington where their test consists mainly of plugging in to the ODBII port to pull codes? They don't even put a sniffer in the exhaust for smog check if the car is less then a certain age (not sure what the cutoff is, but I had my Acura smogged multiple times up here between 2003 and 2007 and it was a 1998 model.)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72