Cleaning Black Door Trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this is a bit of an OCD question, but I am wondering what you all use to get finger prints off of the outside black window trim. I don't typically close the doors by touching that trim, but there were a few giant smudges and finger prints from the dealership. I used a glass cleaner, interior detailer, and black trim conditioner to brighten it up and get rid of most of the finger prints, but when the black trim conditioner wears off I can see the finger prints faintly. I know on my previous LR4, a few applications and it should be fine, but I am wondering if someone has a product or method that they use to get this area clean. A lot of folks use window cleaner with vinegar, but it just doesn't seem to work.

I know it's a bit crazy, but I just hate finger prints on that black trim. I'd rather have my car covered in mud for a month! I will say, of all the cars I've had, finger prints REALLY stay and show up on the black trim on the LR4.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David... my new truck has the same problem. It's dealership prints for sure! They must use some sort of lotion or something that's on the showroom floor - hahaha

Anyway, I've tried everything and nothing works.

From the research I've done, I'm getting the following.

Zymol HD Cleanse Pre-Wax Cleaner

It's pricey.

It has been frequently praised for getting that oily stuff out of matte black finishes.

Hope this helps.

PS - Never had this issue with my other truck - maybe it's a new paint finish or something that is environmentally friendly/safe.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey David... my new truck has the same problem. It's dealership prints for sure! They must use some sort of lotion or something that's on the showroom floor - hahaha

Anyway, I've tried everything and nothing works.

From the research I've done, I'm getting the following.

Zymol HD Cleanse Pre-Wax Cleaner

It's pricey.

It has been frequently praised for getting that oily stuff out of matte black finishes.

Hope this helps.

PS - Never had this issue with my other truck - maybe it's a new paint finish or something that is environmentally friendly/safe.
Thanks, Count! I knew you would chime in and offer your advice on this topic.

I almost want to tell them that they should close the door with the handle - haha! Last night I actually took my truck to the car wash and washed it down with soap and then used a car wipe shammy. The car soap and shammy wipe down did help the finger prints somewhat, but they are still slightly evident at certain angles. After I wiped down the area with a shammy, I used the black interior detailer/conditioner on a shammy cloth and buffed the area well and it did a great job; however, once the conditioner wears off a bit there is a remnant of the prints. There are none on the driver's side (the few that were there came off completely). The passenger side was the problem, but it's getting better.

Thanks for recommending that product - I am going to order it right now.

I had prints on my old truck, but they seem to come right off easily. I agree that the matte paint is a bit different?

Keep me posted, and I will keep you posted.

On a different note, I know we discussed car covers before you and are NOT a fan. There are a few high quality options that allow the vehicle to breathe, but do you think it's just not worth it. Unfortunately, my truck is outside in the elements all day, so I'd love some form of protection. Though, like you said, maybe a weekly bath is enough. I also use the black conditioners often for UV protection.

Regards, David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think even with a really good car cover and size of it there's a chance you'll get dirt/dust etc. inside the cover which can sit between the paint and cover. I've only used them a few times and just got paranoid using them... so my experience might not be the best. I can totally understand though you wanting to keep her covered. There are times I park my beast on the street and think about a cover - because where I live, the fog alone leaves a nice coat of sea film on it. And birds **** on it too. Which I of course wash of ASAP.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think even with a really good car cover and size of it there's a chance you'll get dirt/dust etc. inside the cover which can sit between the paint and cover. I've only used them a few times and just got paranoid using them... so my experience might not be the best. I can totally understand though you wanting to keep her covered. There are times I park my beast on the street and think about a cover - because where I live, the fog alone leaves a nice coat of sea film on it. And birds **** on it too. Which I of course wash of ASAP.
Thanks, Count!

Yes, I can imagine that the fog does leave a film, as I remember parking in Pacifica for a few days and it was nasty. Here in the mid-Peninsula it is mostly sun exposure. I think I picked the best color to reflect the sun and hold up well. Today after work I also applied black conditioner / UV protectant to all my black trim - didn't take long with microfiber cloth. At least that's some protection. I just don't like the idea of a cover, though it seems good in theory. I may look into an awning or something, as a portable car shed isn't an option - not enough room.

Ah well ;-) thanks again!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-Aerospace-Protectant/dp/B004HHSGS0

solution to all UV fade on plastics ... use it all the time on our boats
Thanks so much! This seems great to apply, especially if your LR4 is out in the sun most of the day. :-(

As far as the black window trim, I am still looking around for just the right cleaner. I ordered the product that Count recommended above, and then play to use wax. At least it will cover the prints and make future prints easier to clean.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also give phil @ detailers Domain . com a ring or email....He is INCREDIBLE at detailing and restoring vehicles and can direct you tot he proper product and technique.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also give phil @ detailers Domain . com a ring or email....He is INCREDIBLE at detailing and restoring vehicles and can direct you tot he proper product and technique.
Thanks, rovernut!

Very helpful.

-David

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV