Code P1316

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

AaronATX

My 98' Rover LSE has developed a not so smooth idle and its pretty jerky in 4th gear. Feels like a mild ignition problem to me.

Called the dealer to get an opinion, told me that code is fairly generic for a "detected misfire" that can be caused by a vast array of things.

The truck has 70k miles on it at this point and the longblock is 100% stock and never taken apart. Dealer told me that its most likely that I have a serious carbon buildup going on, probably the exaust valvestems. Guess they are sticking a bit and causing the jerkyness.

It has been getting progressively worse over the last 4-5 months. He reccomended I come in and buy a $20 bottle of some additive and run the **** out of it to see if that fixes things. Guess im going to give that a whirl, especially since its the cheapest thing i've ever heard of with this truck so far!

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the name of the stuff he recommended?

A

AaronATX

I dont recall, i'll letcha know when I go buy it later today. Trying to sell this heap and I can't with a CEL light and hesitation!

A

AaronATX

Well I rode down to the rover dealership on my CB-1 ( motorcycle ) and bought a can of the treatment. A block from my house the can came out of my cargo net and exploded in the street!

DOH. I could go back to get it due to traffic.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Run a can of seafoam (much cheaper), through the gas tank, and one threw the intake vaccum line.... this will be much cheaper and work alot better.

Just my opinion

A

AaronATX

Ok so I am an idiot. I sat down and thought about the problem logically instead of just magically hoping the dealer somehow knew more than I did over the phone.

So I started with the sparkplugs to get an idea on how the motor was running. Yanked 1, 2, looks fine so far, medium-light grey, motor looks healthy.

Go to pull the 3rd boot and the sparkplug wire just rips apart in my hand. Yeah. Gee. I think thats a problem.

Bought a set of new sparkplug wires for $30 and ta-da. No more hesitation.

Now i'm wondering if the check engine light will go off by itself or will I need to get it cleared. Only put about 20 miles on it since I replaced the wire.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to have the code cleared -- go to Advanced Auto, Checker, Autozone, etc. and have them clear the code for you. Then check a couple days later to verify that it worked.

I just cleared P1316 with spark plugs too -- must be contagious! :biggrin:

Jonathan Garnant

Reaction score
I realize this thread is old, new to forum... MY 96 4.0SE baby had P1316 as well, cleared them, re appeared. Engine sounded rough, has 140K mi... went to local shop and for $250, had plugs (new AC), new wires and bottle of fuel cleaner... Thank the Lord... sounds beautiful.
I will next change filter just in case....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick