Colorado Wheeling Trip - need your input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am trying to get some info and start looking at weekends we can make a run.

Here's is what I propose, but would like your input.

#1. Start out in the 'Springs and head West on GOld camp road. Attempt to get all the way to Co Rd 81, then make our way North to hwy 24, then into Woodland park for a late lunch and then go our separate ways.

#2. Meet somewhere in Monument (maybe even Sedelia), and find a way to Rampart Range Road, and again, make our way to Woodland park.

When? I'd like to look at the end of Feb to 1st of May. March 6th & 13th is out for me.

I am looking for a nice scenic drive that will require some technical skills, but can be traversed damage free. When I go wheeling, I take my bronco, where I tend to seek the much more difficult trails, so I am not familiar with the others. I have a few 4x4 books that I will consult as well.

Hope we can get some guys together. I plan on inviting Pikes Peak Rovers and hope to make this primarily land rovers, but won't turn anyone away for having another vehicle.

J.D.

Last edited:

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I stated before I am interested, I havent seen my schedule with the army yet as I just reported to Ft. Carson... But as long as I am not required to work on whatever particular weekend consider me in.

I have been partway up Rampart and it is scenic but IMHO I like the Gold Camp Road idea. Looks like there is a little more room to explore if anyone gets the itch.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the input. I am trying to find out if we can in fact get all the way thru on Gold Camp or if we'll have to come back the way we came.
I just found out that my wife has a baby shower on the 13th of march, so early march is bad for me. Let's just look between now and May. (original post edited)

J.D.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did Shelf road with a some friends from work on the 13th. Was a nice drive, pretty scenic and not too difficult. Put a video in the vids section. Could do a loop around there and over Gold Camp easily.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw the video, and your route seems like a very nice one for this little trip! We could meet somewhere in S 'Springs, (I know a nice little bagel & coffee place), then travel down hwy 115, then west on hwy 50, then make ou way to Cripple Creek via Shelf Road, and eat lunch there. After full bellies, head East on gold camp and come back into the 'Springs. That sounds great to me.

Based on Bing Maps, it looks like it's nearly an hour from the bagel shop to Canyon City, so we could plan on the trip taking 6-7hrs.

I need to take a look at 2/27/10 as that may be the best day for me. March seems to be very full of Baby showers for my wife and I'd really like her to go along. What does that last asturday in Feb look like for everyone else?

Another thought, if we don't get much of a group here, should I start a thread on Colorado4x4.org and open to other Land Rovers? Once we nail down a date, I'll call Pike Peak Rovers and invite them (never got a response from the email I sent).

J.D.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect! Let's try to keep the group around 10 rigs. Many more and it could be difficult to get all the rigs thru and all the people fed.

J.D.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any interest in a Sunday? My wife said that she would help with a birthday party a while back. We were reminded today that the party falls on the 27th, but doesn't start until 5pm. That or maybe we leave somewhat early just to make sure we're back in time?? Or I just take her another time.

J.D.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up to you. I can change the post on that other site to sunday, or you can drive solo. Im pretty flexable as long as im not working. They are easy drives.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just talked to my wife, she says she'd like to go. Can you change your post for Sunday the 28th? Thanks!

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi