Colorado's Highest Pass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife, my son, and I hooked up with our local Land Rover dealer for a trail ride.

We met half the group at the dealer and headed west on Hwy 24. When we reached Hartsel, we headed NW on hwy 9 to Fairplay and continued North on Hwy 9 to the Mosquito Pass Trailhead where we met the rest of the group.

Some of our group on WB hwy 24
LandRover002.jpg

LandRover007.jpg

The group we met at the trailhead, no that silver LR3 is not ours, but a twin. You see, they're all Silver.
LandRover009.jpg

A neat waterfall and old mining relics near the beginning of the trail
LandRover011.jpg

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LandRover014.jpg

Ready to start up the pass
LandRover016.jpg

Then a large group of flat fenders came up. There had to have been close to 15 stock and near stock flatties!
LandRover018.jpg

The first part of the trail was pretty rough (for a modern SUV)
LandRover021.jpg

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A view of leadville on the way down
LandRover047.jpg

Just after this, the other LR3 ran out of fuel. Well, the pickup for the fuel is in the rear of the tank and facing downhill, he starved the motor for fuel. But we were able to push him down the hill a short ways and it restarted and finished the pass.

Lunch time:
LandRover048.jpg

The other LR3 headed into town to fill up, and I needed to take Audra to more modern restroom facilities, so we broke off early too. On the way to town, we needed to stop for some baby wipes, which were in the back of the car. I noticed a hissing coming from one of the tires and found a screw! All that way and no sidewall punctures, but I pickup a nail in the county rd? Perfect. So we drive into town and catch up with the couple in our twin vehicle and tell them what is going on. We ask around about a tire shop and they are both on the other end of this small town, as my luck would have it. So we drive to the tire shop, but he's busy for another hour. He suggests another, but I get the same answer there. So I drive back to the parts store, pickup and plug kit and drive back to the first tire station since they had free air. I got the tire fixed and met the rest of the group back at the gas station where they were graciously waiting for is. We headed south out of town and to the Weston Pass trailhead. Not far in, we caught up with the Flat Fender group again. Kinda funny to see them on another trail the same day.

Weston pass isn't nearly as rough as Mosquito, but it's beautiful all the same. Here's a typical section
LandRover050.jpg

Our ******* in the tightest part of the trail
LandRover053.jpg

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The group at the summit:
LandRover056.jpg

It was pretty fast paced from then on and I didn't take anymore pictures. We gathered where Weston Pass intersects hwy 285 and said our goodbyes and headed our separate ways.

The plug is still holding and I'll let it be as long as it does! All-in-all, the LR3 handled the rough road very well. With some better tires it'd be a great mild trail rig.

J.D.

BTW - 4 images per post is lame. Can't we get that higher?

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great Pics and write up JD ! I have done Mosquito three times. Once in a 4 runner and twice in a Touareg. Was planning on doing it this summer in the LR 3 but it never panned out.

A few observations . The leader should have stopped at the top to check on the group. Plus, it is great to talk to other Rover owners . Also, sounds like you guys could have used 2way radios. I know I always take mine when we head off with the group. Lastly, do you have a full size spare? If not add that to the list. I grabbed one off the forum here and keep it under the LR.

Just a few of my thoughts ! Glad you got out and enjoyed our great state !

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it was a great trip. One I would like to do again someday. I would have liked to have spent a few minutes at the top as well, but we were leap-frogging the old CJ's and maybe that's why we kept going. We did have some handheld radios, but not everyone had them and some were not working. I'll bring my own next run!

I just bought a full-sized spare, but don't have it in my possession yet. I tore some tread off on Black Bear or Imogene pass over Labor day weekend and had to drive home on the donut. Not fun! I'll post a link to another site for that trip report if you are interested.

J.D.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were down in Ouray/Telluride in June for a week running all the trails! The only one we did not get to was Black Bear! I really want to do that one. How was it in the LR ?

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, from my limited experience in the area, you missed the best trail. All the more reason to go back right? The LR did great, even took the hard line near the summit instead of the bypass. The rig turns tight enough, the switchbacks aren't that big of a deal. Trying to remember if I even made more than a 3-point turn on any of them. I would not do that trail in the rain tho in any rig. Technically easier than Mosquito, but way more intimidating.

Link to my trip report:
http://www.ucora.org/forum_ucora3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5241

J.D.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in Nebraska and would love to know if there is another run in hte future.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72