Compomotive 18” Wheel; Quality Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 5 Compomotive Wheels part number PD1880 directly from Compomotive Motorsports, UK, back on September, 2019. Paid $500 USD per wheel. That includes freight from UK to Huntington Beach, California USA.

Check out the pictures. I am very sad at the terrible QC exhibited by Compomotive Motorsports. The finish on the wheels looks terrible . Two phone calls to them and two voicemails later and no reply. So sad.

Now, I know the first thing people will ask about will be the use of harsh cleaners or chemicals. The answer is NO. As a retired automotive petrochemical engineer and subject matter expert, I can be very assertive with my answer. Dawn dish detergent and car washes are the only chemicals that the wheels have been exposed to.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with the finish delaminating the way it has in the pictures?

Thanks.
7721C22D-BA01-4578-9012-56ACB3A67EE3.png
F74EDBFF-8616-42D2-ADC5-09F1AE868471.jpeg
824A5A8D-2ACE-4487-AB27-8F34C6D16911.jpeg
FE9AA734-321C-4B7B-BC4E-18B2727B83A2.jpeg
F86A4F75-37AD-4E6E-89A0-DE0023915129.jpeg

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dawn will strip the finish, it’s highly alkaline. It has no business being used on any part of your car.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think dawn would do this to wheels, and if it does - they’ve got a problem with their coating. I was kind of wondering if they’ve got a problem with UV sensitivity in the coating. The wheels should certainly be built to withstand plenty of sun, but I have wondered if sun exposure is making a difference between peoples experience with these wheels. I‘m in a sunny climate, but mine is garaged all the time.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dawn will strip the finish, it’s highly alkaline. It has no business being used on any part of your car.

On the surface that sounds like a valid point. But, Dawn has a pH of 9.0 - 9.5 as a concentrate and it is also formulated with buffers so it’s gentle on your skin. Its dilution ratio is anywheres from 128:1 to 150:1, hence, pH would not be a root cause. Industrial fallout, namely, brake dust, is a far more likely culprit in this situation. Were ferrous particles along with Morningdew or water from the environment, will cause a corrosive interaction on the surface of a vehicle. For example, after you get your car washed, rub your hand along the surface of the roof or hood. You will feel what appears to be microscopic bumps or imperfections on the surface. When looking at it closely, you’ll see a little tiny specs on the paint. (Very easy to identify on white paint). Those little specs are corrosive particles aka industrial fallout, penetrating into the clearcoat of your paint. The remedy to that situation is to have the surface of your car “clayed”. It’s like giving your car’s paint a close shave . The next time you go to the car wash, ask the attendant what the purpose of “claying” your car is and why is it necessary.

When you see clearcoat peeling off the surface of a car, it’s a combination of cheap paint (clearcoat) and the consumer not being mindful in the proper care of the paint. The bottom line is to get your car clayed and waxed once a year.

I hope you find my response to be constructive and helpful in our dialogue.

Last edited:

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think dawn would do this to wheels, and if it does - they’ve got a problem with their coating. I was kind of wondering if they’ve got a problem with UV sensitivity in the coating. The wheels should certainly be built to withstand plenty of sun, but I have wondered if sun exposure is making a difference between peoples experience with these wheels. I‘m in a sunny climate, but mine is garaged all the time.
UV? Hmm. Now that is an interesting proposition to consider. UV rays can do a lot of damage to a coating if the coating was not properly formulated with UV blockers. You might be on to something there. I can sink my teeth into that possibility.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut