compressor service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had a flat tire today, left rear, and now I need to pull the EAS compressor to replace its bracket. <facepalm/> What other things should I be doing in terms of compressor service? I see that Atlantic British have a later-model style AMK compressor (mine's a Hitachi, 2012 model year). The compressor doesn't seem to have much damage other than the sheet metal tab for the bracket being bent, and I think that will bend back OK. No suspension fault or issues raising/lowering the vehicle, thankfully.

PXL_20220207_034744916.jpg

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the rig? In my opinion the Hitachi compressor is pretty darn reliable, dare i say even more than the AMK. It definitely lasts about 10 years or more. What brings any of the two pumps down is leaky air struts, defective valve blocks, and leaking air tank reservoir. Those things will make the pump work more often than needed. Converting from the Hitachi to the AMK is not a huge deal, but its more work for no reason in my opinion. You need a different air compressor bracket/mount for the AMK compressor, and you need to alter the suspension software so that the truck can recognize the AMK compressor. So make sure your air struts and valve blocks aren’t leaking. You can test that easily. Also take note of the mileage on the truck. The more mileage, the more “moisture” the pump has seen. Inside of the pump has water drying material packed in its canister. Once that material has absorbed all the moisture it can, that alone will bring a pump down, but that’s something that can be changed cheaply and easily on the same old pump.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just about to turn 100k, and 10 years. No issues to date with the compressor, though I'll have to take a look and see if I've ruined it when I snapped the mount. Definitely bent the lower mounting tab. Can the dehydrator be 'recharged' or does it need replacing?

When parked, over time the struts will deflate, but nothing noticeable overnight. Other than that, it reacts to height changes promptly, though I have no reference frame so couldn't tell you how it compares to a "known good" example. The shops have never raised it as an issue, for whatever that's worth.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the negative cable on the battery, or the air suspension relay under the hood overnight. You might want to take care of that slight air loss you’re having. It may be nothing now, but a slow leak doesn’t get smaller.

As for the compressor I’d leave it until it throws a code. Usually its a “venting” code. Once you get that code, service it with those kits they sell on ebay. It’s linked below. Basically you’re opening the canister on the pump and refilling it with beads and filters.

You could get it for much cheaper, i just posted the first link that came up.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you track down where a leak might be? Soapy water on all the fittings and look for bubbles?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing, my driveway is not flat, and over time it's as if the car was trying to get to 'level'. Does that give a hint as to what's bleeding air?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The car will try to level a little bit even when it's turned off.

To figure out if you have a leak, park on level ground, put it in offroad height, pull the suspension fuse/relay, and let it sit overnight. In the morning, see if one corner or end of the vehicle is low.

tex_jag

Reaction score
My original lasted a little more than 180K Miles and 13 Years. Leaks in the system finally did it in and I replaced with the same Hitachi P/N, didn't want to try and change to AMK. I did have to replace two valve bodies that were leaking, I first tried the repair kits, the O rings started leaking again in about 6 months, so I decided to replace the part.
And if you go with refurbishing the compressor, make sure get the kit from a seller who has long track record and a good reviews. I got one kit which came with a piston that not seal well even with the new ring. I had to order another kit to get the correct parts. After all the refurbishing, I ended up replacing the compressor in about another 9 months, just for my piece of mind :)

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the scoop on compressor brackets - dealer wants over $200, Atlantic British has a non-OEM for ~$100, and there are some Chinese made units on Ebay for ~$40. It's all cast aluminum, and shouldn't see much stress. Any recommendations?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tonight I got to take things apart. Good news is the compressor itself seems unharmed other than the support tabs having bent. Bent them back to the desired 90° position, and now need a new bracket. I'm going to replace the desiccant and call it good.

PXL_20220213_064940037.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut