Considering 96-00 Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4ringtuning

Hey everyone, I am looking for some advice purchasing on a 96-00 Range Rover. I have been looking around for a new vehicle for a while now. I really like the style of the RR and the features they offer. I am worried though that it may be a problematic vehicle, that will only cause my bank account to hurt. But I dont know, i have never owned a range rover so I dont know how reliable it will be. Thanks in advance for the help.

4ringtuning

Anybody... nobody?! I thought this forum was pretty active!?! Hoping for some advice here, anyone got any?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I was waiting to see if anyone else piped in. I am sure no one responded because this type question is asked at least once a week or more.

First I would do some reading in this section and the RR portion of the site, as well as spending some time over at http://www.rangerovers.net/

What you are going to find is people with issues and people without them. It is basically like any other vehicle in the world as far as its maintenance requirements, except if you take it to the dealer and are not a home mechanic you probably can't afford to fix it for long, if issues do come up.

I have only heard of one or two Land Rovers (remember the Range Rover is just a Land Rover) that have actually left someone stranded, so I can say they are better than even the newest vehicles on the road. But if it hasn't been maintained very well up to you purchasing, you will need some money or at least some time to sort out any issues.

If you know anyone locally that owns/works on their own Rover, then take them with you when you go to buy or spend the $200 to have a local LR dealer to look it over. If nothing else you post everything they say is wrong, someone here will let you know how bad this issues are and real costs to fix them, and you can use that info to reduce the price....

4ringtuning

Thank you for your response. I can't get over the look of the Range Rover, I have been looking at getting another A4, maybe a BMW or a Lexus. But these Range Rovers keep catching my eye. Thanks again for the advice. I have visited the link you posted, lots of useful info!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '99 4.0 I can sell you. To your question: yes, they cost more to fix than a domestic car. The answer is to take it to a local shop instead of the dealer. Example: Not to turn you off on mine, but it is currently getting a new flex plate in the transmission. It wasn't a big problem, but it would 'tick' once it warmed up, so I wanted to have it fixed. Atlantic British sells them for $50. I'm sure the dealer would be $200 or more. While it was in the shop it was very cold - maybe 0 or so Farenheit. It wouldn't start (never had that problem before) and the guy said it needed a new starter. Again, aftermarket the starter was less than $200 iirc. Mass air flow sensor = $250 instead of $500 or $600.
A few younger kids have stopped by to look at mine, and if I surmise that they would be spending every last cent they have to get it, I discourage them. But if you're willing and able to handle the occasional repair bill, the vehicles are unlike anything else you can get. They have soooo much personality that I feel that any negatives are far outweighed by the positives.
BTW I'm in MI..the truck has 75k on it. Let me know if you're interested.

4ringtuning

sorry for not responding sooner... i am still in the market for a RR. Roverman, where are you located in MI, I wouldnt mind checking out yours, if it's still available. I was leaning more toward the HSE 4.6, but will consider all P38 RRs. Thanks again for the buying advice.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72