Considering a 2014 LR4 Lux Package.... Need Some Advice

Should I buy a 2014 LR4 HSE LUX at 63,500

• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_Walt

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have opportunity to buy a well maintained 2014 HSE LUX/ 3.0 scv6. It was originally owned in Michigan and now here in Pennsylvania. The price is fair, so I have a little wiggle room to do some preventive maintenance.

The vehicle has 63,500 miles on it, with the two notable repairs (Steering column, fuel pump).
Regular maintenance and now a new set of tires and a new battery. The LR4 will be sitting outside over the next year, which concerns me as we get very cold PA winters sometimes. So, at 63,500 miles what should I expect from this vehicle? Can I depend on it on a daily basis?

My main concerns are:

(1) water pump
(2) both crossover pipes (the ones that are two piece and prone to breaking)
(3) lower control arms
(4) air suspension system
(5) timing chain (Does the 3.0 have the same issues at the 5.0 as they age?)

I've always wanted an LR4 but my better judgement says NO. This will be my daily driver. Help!!

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have the crossover pipes and water pump replaced and the rest of those items can be handled as they occur. They are actually pretty reliable cars, albeit expensive to maintain. I bought my 2011 with 62k miles on it about 2.5 years ago and I have put 64k miles on it without any issues that have left me stranded.

Water pump will *most likely* develop a small leak rather than fail catastrophically like the crossover pipes but if you are doing the front its not much more labor to do the pump. I would also do the belt at the same time.

The rest of the items listed below have varying lifespans. If you just set aside 2000-2500 per year for maintenance you shouldn't have any surprise bills other than timing chains which seem to be a complete crapshoot. I think all LR4 buyers need to buy the car with the knowledge that it's a likely repair and budget accordingly. I haven't had to do mine yet and there are a few people running around with higher mileage rovers including one with 300k that are on the original chains but that crowd is the minority.

D_Walt

Reaction score
@DirtyHal thank you, that helps tremendously. Do you think $2,000 would cover the cost to pull the supercharger, replace the crossover pipes, and then also replace the water pump at a specialized indy shop? I ask because I want to build this into my negotiating. I am going to contact a few shops soon but I'd be curious as I am new to Land Rover.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing so but if I were you I would just call my local indy shop and get a quote.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have opportunity to buy a well maintained 2014 HSE LUX/ 3.0 scv6. It was originally owned in Michigan and now here in Pennsylvania. The price is fair, so I have a little wiggle room to do some preventive maintenance.

The vehicle has 63,500 miles on it, with the two notable repairs (Steering column, fuel pump).
Regular maintenance and now a new set of tires and a new battery. The LR4 will be sitting outside over the next year, which concerns me as we get very cold PA winters sometimes. So, at 63,500 miles what should I expect from this vehicle? Can I depend on it on a daily basis?

My main concerns are:

(1) water pump
(3) lower control arms

I've always wanted an LR4 but my better judgement says NO. This will be my daily driver. Help!!

1. Don't worry about it. Fix it when it leaks.
2. Change them before 75K miles.
3. If original, they are due.
4. Haha. It will fail at some point. Fix it when it does.
5. Yes. Potential problems here are the price of admission.

My .02.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My main concerns are:

(1) water pump
(3) lower control arms

I always wanted one as well and bought at 2013 HSE with 72,000 miles and did the crossovers and all the fluids and it's been great since (now at 82K). If you've always wanted one and you can afford the high per-mile / per-year maintenance, I think you'll probably really enjoy it. I love that it can do everything well. Mine is my daily driver, not that we're driving anywhere much these days....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wanted one as well and bought at 2013 HSE with 72,000 miles and did the crossovers and all the fluids and it's been great since (now at 82K). If you've always wanted one and you can afford the high per-mile / per-year maintenance, I think you'll probably really enjoy it. I love that it can do everything well. Mine is my daily driver, not that we're driving anywhere much these days....

That’s a good point, haha I didn’t really touch on why we all put up with this.

They really are amazing vehicles. They drive well on road and off, in all weathers and conditions. There’s a ton of storage, air suspension (which has a lot of benefits), great towing abilities, A fairly large aftermarket. I’ve loved owning mine, I had wanted one for a long time and I’m very glad I took the jump!

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a good point, haha I didn’t really touch on why we all put up with this.

They really are amazing vehicles. They drive well on road and off, in all weathers and conditions. There’s a ton of storage, air suspension (which has a lot of benefits), great towing abilities, A fairly large aftermarket. I’ve loved owning mine, I had wanted one for a long time and I’m very glad I took the jump!
I think of my LR4 as James Bond. It can mix it up in a fight and then go to the opera an hour later in a tux.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say it can function as a daily driver for a few years and then best if used as an occasional after that. They are not really conducive to piling the miles on. Operating costs are high (maintenance+fuel+tires etc).

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I had an LR3 that I took from new to ~200K miles (I forget the exact amount now).
I bought my current 2013 LR4 at 50K miles, just out of warranty, with no regrets. It is a well built dependable car. It's not completely trouble free like a Toyota might be for you... but it's not a high maintenance car, just more costly when things go wrong. Find an independent land rover mechanic around you. Go to the dealer if you have an extended warranty work, go to your independent mechanic when you're paying.

Any nuances, like if the car is going to be a problem, would've popped up by now. I did get an extended warranty through 100K which paid for itself. If you can get one of those you should price that in. It'll give you peace of mind about things in your list you can't control.

You're doing the right research, if you don't turn up any concerns about this specific car... buy it. You'll love it. Parked outside daily driver is not an issue. You'll appreciate the heated seats, steering wheel and windshield in your PA winters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut