Coolant leak on 2011 LR4... Water pump failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrungH

Reaction score
Well, I'm on a through Idaho from California in my (new to me) 2011 LR4 and suddenly I get an overheating notification. Pull over for a bit to let things settle down, since the thermometer was freaking out. Start it back up, now I get a low coolant notification. Check the coolant level and it's shockingly low. Swing by Oreilly to grab some coolant, start filling but once I get to the fill level, I hear some glugs followed by a bunch of coolant dripping out of the bottom... Seems like it's coming from right behind or at the water pump?

So I'm suspecting it's time has come for a water pump replacement (just hit 75k miles, previous owners hadn't had them replaced). Any other possibilities? Or things I should possibly have done with the water pump replacement?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be anything, really, without a pinpoint location of where the coolant is coming from. But the known trouble areas regarding coolant on an LR4 are the water pump and the crossover pipe, which is at the very top of the engine.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't delay or drive that thing until you address the leak. It could get very expensive.

TrungH

Reaction score
Don't delay or drive that thing until you address the leak. It could get very expensive.
Don't worry, I didn't. That last drive to Oreilly was it. No way I was driving a car that couldn't hold coolant. Got it towed 50 miles to the nearest city and the verdict was indeed a broken water pump.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced a leaking pump with a cheapie rebuild that lasted a total of 3000 miles before leaking again. Lesson learned.

kennyao3001

Reaction score
Just FYI I made a video on how to replace your water pump and crossover pipe. Just Incase you want to do it yourself. It’s not a horrible job to do in your garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72