Coolant Level Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Medge222

Reaction score
Newbie over here! My 2016 LR4 HSE Silver Edition was serviced in November for an oil change. I purchased it in of June 2020 from a Land Rover dealership. The coolant level alert is telling me it’s low, but how can that be? One doesn’t go through coolant that quickly right? Based on experience, do you think it could be a leak or a sensor issue?

Thanks so much in advance. Attached a picture of her for fun.

86741F04-B805-4FFC-8813-868AD4BEA390.jpeg

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you actually looked at the truck to try and diagnose? a leak or low coolant should take all of 10 minutes to determine. If its neither of these, could be a sensor.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant low sensor just measures what is in your reservoir. So, check your reservoir. If you have coolant to the specified level and the warning still shows - that’s a sensor problem. Easy fix.

If your coolant is low and you’re sure it was checked in November, then you have a leak and you need to find it. Check around with a flashlight for the orange fluid (maybe dried residue). Leaks don’t always spill out all over the floor.

One piece of advice - do not ignore this problem. You will destroy your engine if you run it without coolant even for a short amount of time.

anglotron

Reaction score
I think it’s less likely to be a bad level sensor, although it certainly could be, and more likely to be the float in the coolant tank that stops floating and thus giving false readings. At least this has been my experience.

Medge222

Reaction score
Turns out I had a cracked pipe, and not a sensor issue. Thanks for the helpful advice. I won't ever ignore a coolant alert again!

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out I had a cracked pipe, and not a sensor issue. Thanks for the helpful advice. I won't ever ignore a coolant alert again!

Glad you got it sorted.

I’ll ask for everyone else, which pipe? Are you able to get photos of the cracked pipe, or a part number?

Also cost to repair?

Keep on roverin

stu

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA