cooling fan not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisclark77

Reaction score
I have a 98 discovery and the cooling fan is not working and i have checked the fusesbut can't figure it out because it was working fine before the wires were accidently cut that run to it. any suggestions?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Cooling fan? The main fan is mechanical, the A/C fans are electric are these the ones you are talking about? If so, unless it is real hot I would wait till warmer weather, I don't even have a fan in my Disco during the winter.

chrisclark77

Reaction score
fan behind radiator

it is the cooling fan that sits behind the radiator that turns on when the engine hits a certain temp. like when you are sitting still in traffic or after the truck has been turned off. can i check the fan by hotwireing it to the battery to see if it is still good? or will that burn it up? I just want to know if the fan is still good or if i need another one? I also live in south ga so one day the high can be thirty and then a week later it could be eighty so you never know when you are going to want that ac. Is this the fan that pushes the AC because when i try to run the AC it doesn't get cold and it causes my engine to overheat. It also overheates when i am sitting in traffic and i have to start moving and turn my heater on to get the temp to go back down. i know that there are two fuse boxes, one in the dash under the steering wheel and another in the engine compartment . where would the fuse for this fan be? I would like to know because when i bought the truck there was no manual. that way i don't have to recheck all of the fuses again to make sure i didn't miss something.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, you can hot wire it... if it doesn't work, it is the temp sensor, but the odds are the fans are bad... but keep in mind they will not come on if it is real cold outside... easiest test is to turn on the A/C and see if they come on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV