Costco Mobil 0w20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
Is this usable in a ‘16 Lr4 HSE ?

D0D0123F-32BF-46C6-A52C-6F923EE79C32.jpeg

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I checked, this oil doesn’t meet the land rover spec. Not sure if it’s been changed.

I have no idea if these special specs on the manufacturer recommended oils is a bunch of BS or not. They do seem to have some different ingredients (e.g., ash). But, if you’re still under warranty, I’d stick with the LR spec oil at least until the warranty runs out.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an OK price. Walmart's pricing on M1 EP(extended performance) is better. I've used that for years.

Someone else can chime in with more specifics but the consensus(gathered from countless older threads) seems to be that the JLR spec is not important if you're sticking to 5-7k intervals and using good high quality fully synthetic 0w-20 or 5w-20.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have made a personal decision to stick with the OEM recommended Castrol which I think it was @ryanjl who dubbed it “Gucci oil” lol. Re price, it comes in at an eye-watering $11-$13 PER QUART so yeah, it’s all relative when you compare it to Mobil1.

Notwithstanding my decision to use Castrol OEM, I change frequently enough that I would not be overly concerned with a different oil spec as long as it was a quality oil (whatever that means). Mobil1 has a lot of fans here and has generated many positive testimonials in high-mileage LR4s.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgetting about specs..i used 0w20 liquimoly in my high mileage lr4.

purchased the car used with no oil leaks.
about 1 month later I changed the oil within and week i developed 3 oil leaks. rear main seal, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket.
replaced the filter gasket and changed the oil the Valvoline 5w20 Maxlife synthetic....oil leaks stopped.

just wanted to share my experience about 0w20 weight.

anyway, i doubt spec is that important. any quality synthetic oil should be fine, as long as you are changing 5-7k miles. which you should be doing anyway. the extended OCI that LR suggests are a little long, which is also most likely why they had a very unique oil spec.

and I would suggest walmart for oil. they sell a good variety in 5 quart jugs, which always seem to be better priced than any other retailer, especially one selling quarts, or cases of quarts.

Last edited:

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I've owned my '16 (going on 1 yr), I've used the Luiqimoly 0w20 LR SPEC on 2 oil changes (5k mi each). seems like a good price for oil that meets JLR specs. in case you want more info, here is my oil analysis form the last change

Attachments

• LR4 oil analysis (2).pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 61

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0w is always better than 5w in arctic conditions. in above freezing conditions is the same stuff.

NavDefender

Reaction score
Normal price is the same at Sam’s club, but I bought 4 boxes on sale for $28. This is what I use but I’m the second owner and only have 46k on the truck, so I’m not a good datapoint for anything but price. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV