Cracked fan shroud? Engine jumped off mount?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allegro

Reaction score
I’m on the road with my family as we kick off a 5 day road trip, and I’m in LR4 diagnosing mode. Time for some roadside repair!

While pulling onto a 2-lame highway from a side street stop sign, my wife started to accelerate, then let off the gas on seeing traffic coming, and then gunned it after realizing there was plenty of room as long as she came up to speed. Pretty much immediately there was a strange sound and I had her pull off the road. While coasting to a stop, the sound went away.

Under the hood, I noticed that the passenger side of the cooling fan shroud was pretty much resting on the fan blade. I gather that the shroud is made up of two pieces, and it appears the bottom piece is cracked near its top attachment point, and there’s some meted plastic up near where I believe the top and bottom pieces connect. I’ve never taken these apart though and don’t know the parts well - do the top and bottom pieces clip together? Or does the top rest on the bottom?

I was able to get us underway by using electrical tape to pull the lower shroud away from the fan and to “secure” the upper shroud so it doesn’t flip down onto the fan. Not a long term solution or one I expect to live beyond today’s drive.

Some questions:

1. Any ideas for a roadside fix? We’re in a fairly remote stretch of the Oregon coast… any tools/parts will be limited to what I might find at a chain auto parts store in a small town. Maybe some strategically drilled holes in the shroud halves and wire to pull the shroud away from the fan?

2. Would someone be willing to post a couple pictures showing how the shroud parts are supposed to look? I’m curious about the clearance I should be seeing from the fan, as well as how the two shroud halves come together.

3. Should I be concerned about my engine mounts? Even with the sudden punch of the throttle, I wouldn’t think the engine movement should be able to bring the fan into contact with the shroud.

Thanks all!

(not sure why the photos are not uploading with correct orientation - will edit when off the road)

Attachments

• B6165C67-19B1-448E-AF89-711B5D7B71DA.jpeg
    B6165C67-19B1-448E-AF89-711B5D7B71DA.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 5B02AF0C-9654-4E8E-8D01-862A2C8EC104.jpeg
    5B02AF0C-9654-4E8E-8D01-862A2C8EC104.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DECEBEDD-C09B-41F6-A22C-50FE18DB79EE.jpeg
    DECEBEDD-C09B-41F6-A22C-50FE18DB79EE.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 63
  • B5DCC890-02E1-4BC0-AD95-1E28E620685D.jpeg
    B5DCC890-02E1-4BC0-AD95-1E28E620685D.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 66

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tape is rookie. The fix is fine. Do you have access to light gauge wire?

allegro

Reaction score
tape is rookie. The fix is fine. Do you have access to light gauge wire?

Lol. Yeah that’s my target in the morning - I’ll be able to find some wire somewhere and hope that gives me better clearance. With the bad roadside tape job I’m still getting a little fan blade rubbing under load.

You think I should be concerned that this happened in the first place? Is it a thing to crack a shroud from sudden acceleration?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Yeah that’s my target in the morning - I’ll be able to find some wire somewhere and hope that gives me better clearance. With the bad roadside tape job I’m still getting a little fan blade rubbing under load.

You think I should be concerned that this happened in the first place? Is it a thing to crack a shroud from sudden acceleration?
What year/how many miles?

I'm sure the only relation was the fan spooling up during the acceleration, and that was when you noticed it.

Engines move around a bit during RPM changes too, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I bet the plastic fatigued and eventually cracked.

Maybe at some point someone replaced the fan or something around it and broke part of the mounting hardware?

allegro

Reaction score
What year/how many miles?

[...]

Maybe at some point someone replaced the fan or something around it and broke part of the mounting hardware?

2012 LR4 124k miles. We had a decent front-end accident two years ago which necessitated a long stay at a competent shop.. engine was removed from the truck during the repair, and I believe cooling fan and shroud were replaced as part of the repair. Totally possible though that there was some damage to mounting hardware from either the accident or the engine removal/reinstall, or perhaps the shroud survived our accident and so it's indeed an old, tired piece of plastic.

I'll give it a better look in good light and see if there's anything else obvious beyond the crack in the lower shroud.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a decent front-end accident two years ago which necessitated a long stay at a competent shop.
Ding ding ding if you ask me.

I had a bumper repainted on my previous car from a competent shop, and I found issues years later.

A lot of these collision shops have a good understanding of how most manufacturers attach X part, but when something is different they mess it up and rarely fix it properly after.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to get you going again. The shroud is only there for efficiency. At highway speeds the fan is doing basically nothing. But when you’re going slowly that’s a different thing.
If you have to, remove the entire shroud. Last thing you want is the fan itself to start to get damaged.

Wire is a great idea and yes engines move around a surprising amount.

Assuming you have to remove the shroud if you’ve got an Iid tool or similar keep an eye on temperatures. If it starts getting too hot then shut down the ac. That should give you some more wiggle room. Keep in a higher gear/lower revs etc. Or just stop for a while and let things naturally cool with the hood/bonnet open.

Hope you make it ok

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi