Crazy to add Tactical Rear bumper at 104k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woukd be interested in hearing thoughts on spending an easy $4k on a Tactical 4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier. My LR4 has been super low maintenance and reliable but she’s getting up there in miles. Am I nuts to make this investment now (I really like the Tactical offering and woukd like to get the 265/65 spare out from underneath).

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd say...maybe. I'm in a similar position as you with 93k on the clock and have a long wishlist of parts on order, and hopfully Gobi coming in a few weeks, even approaching 6 figure mileage. Do you love it? Are you keeping it even when she needs guides/chains etc? Also, adding desireable parts makes it much easier to sell used if you do part with the truck. That's what I tell myself. :)

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s definitely a ‘gut’ call but sometimes throwing it out there to this group yields new insights. The ‘investment’ in the rear bumper is in the 25% of total vehicle worth category I think.

It’s a great adventure vehicle, no doubt.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the price right on that?

Going by their website, looks like the bumper plus swingout is less than $2k.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, well, I’m not putting this on myself and labor is the equal of the parts so… it’ll be in that range.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I installed mine by myself in about an hour with the help of a floor jack. $2k additional for that?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, well, I’m not putting this on myself and labor is the equal of the parts so… it’ll be in that range.

I see. Makes sense.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just north of 110k, but mine is running like an absolute top. Chains were done a few years ago, crossover pipes were done last Spring. No reason to believe I couldn't get another 110k out of it.

Big difference between you and I is that I live in Kansas City and might make it to Colorado once or twice a year. In the interim, I feel a little bit showy driving around a vehicle fully kitted for off-road use that goes on road the full portion of the year. That's my internal struggle, not anyone else's.

But you live in Colorado and can maybe hit a great trail on any given weekend, weather permitting. I'd go for it if you have faith in your Lr4.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this out the hard way but if you already have a bunch of upgrades+the truck runs well, if the truck craps the bed(let's say the engine seizes), the decision to keep it and fix it becomes a lot easier...

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm… I had no idea it was that easy. I would be doing it by myself as well. That would make a big difference. This is why I throw things out here

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, some great access out this way and the 4x4 look is quite a bit more common in these parts. You having done the chain(s) would be a big relief.

If I just do it myself that makes it a lot more tolerable.

Anyone ever use a hitch mount for a dirt bike with the Tactical? I’m guessing it’s doable but the bike will hang a bit further back.

I see. Makes sense.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just north of 110k, but mine is running like an absolute top. Chains were done a few years ago, crossover pipes were done last Spring. No reason to believe I couldn't get another 110k out of it.

Big difference between you and I is that I live in Kansas City and might make it to Colorado once or twice a year. In the interim, I feel a little bit showy driving around a vehicle fully kitted for off-road use that goes on road the full portion of the year. That's my internal struggle, not anyone else's.

But you live in Colorado and can maybe hit a great trail on any given weekend, weather permitting. I'd go for it if you have faith in your Lr4.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut