Crossover pipe flange dimensions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone can help me with a little project I’m working on. Long story short I’m about to pull my engine and rebuild it with an electric water pump and fan set up. However, to minimize down time, I’m trying to buy as many parts ahead of time so when I pull the engine I won’t have to wait for them to arrive.

My question is, does anyone know the diameter of the coolant output hole in the engine block? If you’ve got an old crossover tube laying around and a micrometer, it would just be the diameter of the flange that seats into the block. Or if you’ve got a block sitting around, that would work too!

Long story even longer, I’ve found a few parts that may be direct bolt ons, but I need to double check the specs. If they fit, they’ll work great and I can do away with the crossover tube altogether!!

FYI, this is what I’m looking at:

https://www.motionraceworks.com/pro...-heater-hose-crossover-port-for-cylinder-head

In theory, I can bolt two of these right up, run the hoses to a “Y” connector, then right down to the radiator. (I think there are a few more connections in there, but you get the general idea)

Also, if anyone has a scale drawing of the water pump inputs as well I’d appreciate it! I’m really hoping these will bolt up:

https://www.motionraceworks.com/pro...billet-water-pump-to-an-adaptor-cylinder-head

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

blake aiken

Reaction score
I’d be very interested in helping move to electric pump/fan setup.

Are you looking for the front or rear crossover dimensions? I’ve got a spare front and water pump in the garage and calipers/micrometers so can help out. Maybe not today since I’m heading to the mtns in a bit but for sure when I get back Monday.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for the front crossover dimensions....I think. As I understand it, the coolant goes in through the water pump ports, then out via the crossover ports. I’m not familiar with the front vs. the rear....but I’m always learning!

That said, if you could measure the ports on the front crossover tube I’d greatly appreciate it!

My plan is to remove the mechanical water pump altogether and use a Davies Craig EWP and controller. With the water pump gone, I can route the coolant lines right out the front of the block.

In theory the swap is fairly simple....in theory. I’m still trying to figure out how to re-route the serpentine....

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Blake, thought I’d give a quick bump and see if you had a chance to measure the pipe?

Thanks!

blake aiken

Reaction score
Hey tapps, the water pump blew on my m3 coming back from said mtns, twas foolish to push the oe to 150k. That said I’m wrapping up the timing chains on the lr4 so I’m excited to wring it out for a while.

Here’s the front y pipe
136ec6e0c6d82962ea76191e9e5cd62a.jpg

4fd09eb4dc9ae35c50ef9ef332833b49.jpg

Y pipe to block
e1d4c2b21726a5312c658e26972a3a13.jpg

21084353d35f58f4271c065e43125eef.jpg

566ef72bb06749398695e5f6687030ce.jpg

Water pump
30360fd58d9d4ee9b004deedb0a1fac1.jpg

0ab4483052377db7a27de686c9990bc2.jpg

370a8222798108a8063cd75fcff4b528.jpg

2903ac585cc4934a2bb86cd6a2d34731.jpg

Last edited:

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, that sucks about the mountains trip! Sorry to hear that....but yes, 150K miles is a lot for an OE pump.

Thanks for the pics and measurements of the crossover tube! That’s exactly what I needed!!!

I’ve been talking to Motion Raceworks and it looks like their water pump adapter fittings will work for both the water pump and the crossover tube!

As soon as I finish the house project, the LR4 is getting its update...electric water pump/cooling fan....and a supercharged 5.0 engine! [emoji48][emoji48][emoji48] (at least I think I can make it all work....I’ll let you know!)

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, probably should have posted this sooner! The motion race works Coyote billet water pump to AN adapter (part# 1210001) should fit for the purposes of the electric water pump swap.

Unfortunately though, the billet heater hose l/crossover port fitting (part # 1210005) will not fit for the crossover tube. FYI, the crossover port is approx 33mm (thanks @blake aiken !) and the heater adapter is probably only 5/8’s-7/8’s of an inch wide. Motion race works couldn’t quote the exact specs, but noted the picture with the AN fitting has an ID of 1/2”.

Truthfully it’s looking more and more like I’ll just have to get a block of billet aluminum and have it machined to fit. Honestly, it should be too bad, especially when I have the crossover tube for reference.

I did find some 33mm block off plates for a BMW Diesel engine intake that I’ve ordered, but I have yet to measure them, then more importantly, I’ll need to make sure they can seal as well as support a fitting.

I’ll know a lot more for sure once I dig into the engine...still a few weeks away btw.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut