Crossover Pipe - Replace Pre-Emptively?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I know the plastic crossover coolant pipe is a weak link in our cars and eventually, they all start leaking. Right now, mine is bone dry and shows no signs of leaking and coolant level has been steady. Should I replace it pre-emptively(along with the water pump), or wait until it starts leaking? I'd rather not have it start leaking on a road trip, if i can help it. I have a 2013 that just hit 76k. No idea if it's already been replaced in its lifetime or not. Thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't hurt. I think mine was leaking at around 60k miles. I marked it on my maintenance schedule to go ahead and change it again around 120k miles.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my last warranty trip to the dealer as my service tech wrote up the work order, we spoke about this and he was well aware of this weak link. He told me he'd have the mechanics pressure test the system to 15 psi. No signs of a leak. Assuming they knew what they're doing, I can live with that.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I replace it pre-emptively(along with the water pump), or wait until it starts leaking? I'd rather not have it start leaking on a road trip, if i can help it. I have a 2013 that just hit 76k.

My water pump was doing the slow seep at 50K miles (nothing on the floor of my garage, but crystallized residue on the low point). I had it replaced along with the front and rear pipes as insurance.

My mechanic said I was lucky that it was caught. As we all know, a failure can be catastrophic, so I'm sleeping a lot better at night...at least when I'm not imagining my timing chain ticking lol.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my dealer, the leaking crossover pipe is more of an issue in warm climates. He said they have only replaced one so far. So maybe the crossover pipe lasts twice as long for those of us that have winter.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I know the plastic crossover coolant pipe is a weak link in our cars and eventually, they all start leaking. Right now, mine is bone dry and shows no signs of leaking and coolant level has been steady. Should I replace it pre-emptively(along with the water pump), or wait until it starts leaking? I'd rather not have it start leaking on a road trip, if i can help it. I have a 2013 that just hit 76k. No idea if it's already been replaced in its lifetime or not. Thanks!
I’d say do it. Most of the time when the front pipe goes, it really goes. Mine went while at the shop (fortunately). They had it running and were checking other things. It was just pouring out of the engine. My tech said he sees it often and when it goes, it’s usually time for a new engine (if it was driven for more than a few minutes).

The back pipe is more of a slow leaker. Mine started leaking shortly after my front pipe went. Obviously, they are both made from the same plastic. I’ve not heard horror stories of back pipe bursts, but would suggest replacement at the same time as preventative maintenance. It’s not much more work to access it.

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish somebody would make these pipes in some like aluminum for more durability.

Not enough market, I guess.
I had the same thought a few days ago! I had thought about seeing if markforged could 3D print an aluminum one...I’m guessing it’d be costly to make, but sub $500, it almost be worth it to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi