Dead Battery? Or its just damn cold. 6 F

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ladric

Reaction score
Its a 2011, maybe a stock battery. But the truck will not start, lights dim when I hit the start button.
It started yesterday (its was 16 F) I did not have any warning lights.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 2011, maybe a stock battery. But the truck will not start, lights dim when I hit the start button.
It started yesterday (its was 16 F) I did not have any warning lights.

The battery in an LR4 generally only lasts 3 years or so. The stock ones were even worse. I'd be astonished if your '11 had the original battery.

What's the brand and date code on it?

Robuk

Reaction score
Quote The battery in an LR4 generally only lasts 3 years or so. Quote

If you have stop/start and disconnect the system the battery it will probably last twice that length of time.

Aftermarket growth in AGM and EFB batteries used in start-stop vehicles has failed to meet predictions because the batteries are being under-used by drivers who choose to switch off the start-stop function in their vehicles, said John Bentley, technical spokesman of Ecobat Technologies (formerly Manbat).

http://www.batteriesinternational.c...lters-as-drivers-disable-start-stop-function/

The vid below shows one way of disconnecting stop/start, a complex system which gives little benefit but can be expensive to fix, if you actually want to fix it.

Unfortunately land Rover decided to put a battery charging warning sign on dash when this sensor is disconnected or failed, Porsche and Merc don`t do that which indicates there is no actual charging problem.
The simple way to check the charging voltage with sensor disconnect is a cheap Ebay device plugged into cig lighter socket as shown on vid.
The Merc had the sensor disconnect over 12 months ago and the battery is original dated 0911. I am in the UK and our batteries do last longer do to a more clement weather system.

One other thing, with the sensor unplugged smart charging is also disconnected and reverts to a standard charging regime same as earlier cars, this means the battery now gets fully charged especially on short journeys not 75 to 80% as with the smart system. With the Ebay device and sensor disconnected you should now see between 13.8 and 14.4 volts not the 12.5volts you probably often saw with the smart system in play, anything below 13volts indicates no charge, try it, if no like just plug it back in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a UK mag, stop/start is like printing money for the battery industry and repairers.
Quote UK had an extraordinarily long and hot summer – like last summer Quote.
Is he talking about the UK, utter garbage, does not appear to have effected my 8 year old battery.

Quote Indeed, following a recent workshop trial carried out by CTEK in partnership with PMM, we know that as many as one in two vehicles entering the workshop has a battery that needs attention. When you compare this statistic to a similar trial we undertook back in 2013, which saw only 25% of vehicles with a battery requiring attention, we see the risk of battery failure has significantly increased. Quote

With stop/start in play 50% of batteries now need attention, with pre stop/start cars it was 25%, They actually admit this, stop/start KILLS batteries.

https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/batteries-charging/

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lr4 battery’s go pretty fast. Takes a lot to crank over the big V8. If all the light dim and the dash fades out and the battery light comes on when starting that’s key that you need a new battery.

Ladric

Reaction score
So, being me - I have not done anything and it's starting every time even after sitting for a few days. We have been around freezing temps but not 15 below.
If "stop/start" is when the truck stops the engine when at a stop sign or in traffic, I don't have that on my 2011.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, being me - I have not done anything and it's starting every time even after sitting for a few days. We have been around freezing temps but not 15 below.
If "stop/start" is when the truck stops the engine when at a stop sign or in traffic, I don't have that on my 2011.

No doubt the cold temps will magnify battery issues, but you are likely taking a chance with a battery that misbehaved on cold temps already.

My OEM battery lasted me nearly 5 years never giving me any issues, but I still changed it as a preventative move at the time. I do garage my LR4 and my garage hardly dips below 40F, but it does get a cold start in Greater Boston winters when heading back home. I never saw my battery hesitate or show any signs at all. But I knew all along from reading reports here that anything over 3 years is playing with house money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut