Dealer Price - Alternator and Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wthammett

Reaction score
Last week the wife had our 2011 LR4 down at the beach visiting friends when the 'charging system malfunction' light came on along with all others. Within minutes center console goes dead, game over. Anyway there was a LR dealer 5 minutes away, although I didn't want to have them work on it they were close and I had to rescue my wife and kids at midnight 50 miles away so I had towed there, here was the damage.

Pricing on the alternator was $808, ended up giving it to me for $708.
Pricing on a battery was $218, gave it to me for $199
Labor at $765
Total - $1,603

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like standard dealer pricing.. Don't kick yourself for it- when it's a rescue mission sometimes having a dealer that close can be a blessing.. Kids and wife involved- you made the right choice.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said. Not much you can do in that situation if you don't have one hand and are willing to do it on the side of the road except bit the bullet.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wthammett, how many miles on your LR4? Starting to hear an odd whirling noise from the alternator area. May want to replace mine before my wife and kids have the same problem while on the beach.

And you totally did the right thing to fix yours.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, I'm currently working a whirring noise coming from the alternator area on a buddy's LR- and it turned out to not be the alternator.. I think the bearings seem to outlast the brushes on these alternators- I hear more cases of the alternator dying an electrical death than bearings going south.. Maybe throw a multimeter on the electrical system when it's running to see if you are getting 14ish volts..

Keep in mind that there are some tensioners and rollers that can act up and start that "rrrrrrr" noise- that turned out to be the culprit in my case.. I'm pretty sure that the LR3s have a replacement interval on them..

A mechanics stethoscope came in really handy on this one..

Good luck,

Mike

wthammett

Reaction score
wthammett, how many miles on your LR4? Starting to hear an odd whirling noise from the alternator area. May want to replace mine before my wife and kids have the same problem while on the beach.

And you totally did the right thing to fix yours.
170K on the clock - vehicle has been mazing so far. I will say I noticed some 'whirling' noise myself in the past few months, it could have been the alternator but with air pumps, timing chain issues and the miles on the motor I did not try and figure out what it was, just figured it was a motor getting old...very well could have been the alternator.

DugLR4

Reaction score
I had the same problem with that noise right before it went dead. everything lit up and the LR4 died. It died on the trail going down the mountain on Owners day last year. The dealer wanted $950 just for the Alternator, and my battery had to be replaced too. I searched online and found the same alternator for $365 Brand New and paid $20 to get it overnight shipped. New battery was $189 from Autozone and the labor was $150. The LR4 had like 87K miles when this happened .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut