Deleting / Removing Star Stop System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fly501

Reaction score
I’ve had a hard time finding a thread, or any information, on the ability to completely delete or remove the start stop system on a 2016 LR4. I am assuming this would also be applicable to the 2014/15 models.

I am aware that you can disconnect the negative battery lead, one of the plugs, drive a certain way, or push the button to turn it on and off etc. But my reasoning for removing the system is to make room for a secondary battery as is available in the models prior to the start stop system. (I personally dislike the start stop but I that’s neither here nor there.

My vehicle last had the start stop battery replaced under warranty, and while discussing it with one of the technicians (the actual guys that worked on my truck not the service advisor) I was led to believe the system could simply be removed by uninstalling the battery as well as all the wiring and disconnecting the start stop control module. He indicated that everything involved in that system is contained in the driver side plastic box. This of course would probably throw an error code, and also throw the start stop warning light but that should be all.

I’m naturally hesitant to just start ripping things off the car, especially since I cannot find any threads or social media posts regarding it.

I do not live in a state where any type of annual inspection is necessary, nor do I believe that the start stop system was for meeting the EPA exhaust gas requirements, as much as it was an mpg improvement technology. But either way I will take my chances on those issues. My question here is can it be removed?

If I have in fact missed a thread on this forum or others accept my apologies, otherwise Thanks in advance.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, no one on this forum has documented full removal of the Eco components. I am running with the negative lead disconnected and have mentally blocked out the amber light. Please report back if you find out anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA